LF John Patton "Blue John"

mikeweil

I'm looking for a decently priced copy of the Japanese expanded SHM CD of this album:

'Big' John Patton* ‎– Blue John

Blue Note ‎– UCCQ-5008 ‎– reissue of BST-84143 with bonustracks

Series: Blue Note, The Masterworks

https://www.discogs.com/Big-John-Patton-Blue-John/release/8831989

Thanks .....

As with all of the extra, previously unissued Blue Note takes that Michael Cuscuna added to Japanese CDs from 2012 through 2015, the ones here are great. He added everything that would fit, but had to leave out two tracks from the two sessions involved. One, with just Patton, Green and Dixon, is on a later Patton session, and the other item is on a Braith album (without Patton).

All of the new tracks from this "swan song" series would fit onto at most four CDs and should be issued that way. I would issue the two "Blue John" sessions, with the two unissued items, as a 2-CD set. A digital download of everything would be acceptable, at 320 mp3. 

For this particular CD, it might help to check out kupiku.com. Type UCCQ-5008 into the search window. This site has helped me, and it avoids the Discogs fee, though Mr Amazon usually pokes his nose into the proceedings. Amazon Japan refuses to mail outside the country.

I've got the bonus tracks version, and while I was glad to have 'em and am intrigued by the two still unissued, I feel Alfred made the right choices here by focusing on the grease which is sizzling hot on these two sessions.  My favorite Braith by far and among my fav Patton and Green. I love the mystery of this album appearing on later back covers and being discussed as if it had been issued when in fact it hadn't.

You're probably right, there. But before the new tracks came out, I always felt that the album was a bit out of balance, the trumpet being only on the last two, of six, tracks.

Anyway, in its original form, and now enlarged, it's a great set. The opener is a real cooker. It's my favorite Braith, too.