Wayne Shorter on Twitter

kh1958

Wayne ShorterVerified account @Wayne_Shorter
FollowFollow @Wayne_Shorter
More

I used to see Lester Young when I was very young. He’d come with Jazz At The Philharmonic to a theater around the corner from where I lived in Newark. I’d get together with some guys and we’d go up the back fire escape and sneak into the theatre. 👣👣

12:34 PM - 8 Nov 2019

20 replies208 retweets924 likes

Retweet

1. New conversation
    •  

There’d be Billy Eckstine opening up with Stan Getz, and Charlie Parker with strings, and Lester would have the finale. I noticed that Lester Young was different from everybody.

1 reply24 retweets185 likes

Retweet

•  

The show was long on and here comes Lester walking into the lobby. He was the only one who used to carry the saxophone in a bag; the rest of the guys had big, heavy, hard cases. His bag was shaped like a saxophone and he had this black overcoat and his pork pie hat.

3 replies18 retweets167 likes

Retweet

•  

Lester’s style was all-encompassing. He hardly moved his fingers on a horn. Or when he walked into a room, same thing, you’d hardly see him do it. He walked with his feet close to the ground. He lifted them up and didn’t scrape them, but they were always close to the ground

1 reply29 retweets187 likes

Retweet

•  

And he never made a false move. If somebody came into a room to surprise you or upset a household, he’d be the last one to turn around. Not deliberately or trying to be cool. Eventually he’d turn around and say, “Heyyy what’s happenin’” or “Don’t you belong in the hospital?” 👣👣

Edited by kh1958

He is not a frequent tweeter, but an interesting one.

Conversation

Wayne Shorter

@Wayne_Shorter

Art Blakey would tell us, “If there is just one person in the nightclub, don’t walk out on the stage and just get super relaxed because there is only one person. Perform like it is your last moment, with that one person in mind.”