Who is policing Spotify?

David Ayers

We have more than once mentioned on this board the question of so-called bootlegs. Without getting into questions regarding what is “legit” or not, I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this phenomenon on Spotify. I have noticed that older playlists, including my own, which contain many unauthorised concert recordings, have become depopulated, as formerly available recordings are blanked out. I am wondering if the large shareholders in Spotify, which includes the major record labels, are removing some of the stuff so as not to have to pay external sources, and direct attention to their own offerings.I don’t know, but I am wondering, in which case over time it seems we might start to take a more cautious view of streaming services.

Any observations?

Edited by David Ayers

I see this same practice on Amazon's music service.   In the past I was able to upload my personal music and have all of it available for streaming.   Several years ago they stopped allowing uploads.   At the time I had to explicitly let them know not to delete these upload albums.   Fast forward to today and I've lost access to a lot of what I uploaded.  In many cases it's just as you say, instead of the full album I see only one or two tunes. In other cases it just disappeared entirely.   Calling the help desk hasn't helped. 

Most of my physical music is stored away in cases in the basement.   I'll never have the time or energy to re-catalog the gaps. 

Nothing is forever. 

2 hours ago, Coda said:

Nothing is forever. 

No, but having it in your hand (or somebody's hand that you can hold) is more likely to last longer than having it in somebody's, anybody's cloud.

Call me O.K. Boomer, but I still believe that if you wnat to be as sure as possible that you will "have" something, a hard copy is the best/only way to go. Of course, storage space is a very real concedrn, so the corollary to that is that Mr. Boomer here is at some point going to have to make the difficult Decisions about what he wants to have until his last breath and what he'd be ok with maybe losting at any moment.

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No, but having it in your hand (or somebody's hand that you can hold) is more likely to last longer than having it in somebody's, anybody's cloud.

Call me O.K. Boomer, but I still believe that if you wnat to be as sure as possible that you will "have" something, a hard copy is the best/only way to go. Of course, storage space is a very real concedrn, so the corollary to that is that Mr. Boomer here is at some point going to have to make the difficult Decisions about what he wants to have until his last breath and what he'd be ok with maybe losting at any moment.

I agree. No substitute for having it in your hand.

And I'm not a even Boomer. ;) 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

OK Boomer!  :g  Just kidding, I'm completely with you on this whole matter.  I may break down and get a Spotify subscription at some point in the next few months, but I like my physical media, oh yes I do.  And yes, storage becomes an issue, sure, but one that I have direct control over, as opposed to whatever corporate clouds that are floating out there.

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I don't understand why this is the conclusion you came to after observing that unauthorised concert recordings had been removed. Sure it's possible, but aren't there other parties who might be responsible for removing unauthorized recordings, such as Chuck Nessa or Anne Sophie Mutter, to name the topics of two recent threads?

Well, I’m just wondering. Spotify and other streaming services don’t work like YouTube where people can just put up what they like.   

• 4 weeks later...

And my favourite artist is evidently The Cinematic Orchestra. I like them a lot certainly but not enough to have bought the album I've streamed the most this year...it's good tube commute music.

Mind you, it was a clever ploy as I couldn't resist looking who was in the top five.