Propose a new Mosaic box, dedicated to (or at least featuring) *an artist still living today* (featuring = as a prominent sideman)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all these dead people in response to idea about a living person! :g

11 minutes ago, felser said:

Sonny Simmons.   Something that will include 'Rumasuma' in its parameters. I'm of course full in for Roach, Harper, Barron, Waldron.

Or a Barbara Donald Wherever She Showed Up set, that would be UBER-KILLER!!!!

But not a Mosaic project. Not then, not now, not ever.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

all these dead people in response to idea about a living person! :g

Or a Barbara Donald Wherever She Showed Up set, that would be UBER-KILLER!!!!

But not a Mosaic project. Not then, not now, not ever.

To the best of my knowledge, Simmons is still alive.  Did I miss an obit?  The Simmons/Donald idea  is great, and would include Rumasuma.

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Culture no but CD boxsets almost certainly

I dunno, I see a future of greater insularity and self-affirming redundancies. Contraction rather than expansion. Not my idea of fun, but otoh, yin and yang, can't have one without the other, so maybe it's that time of life for the world today.

3 minutes ago, felser said:

To the best of my knowledge, Simmons is still alive. 

OMG, you're right! Geez, how long has it been since he had anything out? Where is he living? Is he ok? It's been a bit of a while, it seems...

39 minutes ago, felser said:

Sonny Simmons. Something that will include Rumasuma in its parameters ...

A great record, though I find Simmons' own contributions somewhat restrained next to Barbara Donald, possibly because of the presence of piano in the rhythm section. I think Rumasuma was Donald's shining hour. It gives me the impression of what Booker Little might have sounded like had he lived into the late 60's.

I agree that all the Mosaic box set suggestions here are probably largely fantasy, but hey — that's what boards like this are for! I do think, however, that smaller boutique labels like No Business (out of Lithuania) might be the perfect candidate to reissue a recording on the Moers label to attract new listeners. That solo Carter record on Moers (actually out on compact disc at one time) is absolutely crushing. Easily up there with Braxton's For Alto or Evan Parker's solo records. I think, ultimately, it's gonna take someone like Jonathan Horwich to reissue these type of records. Mosaic has some catching up to do with Armstrong, Basie, and Herman sets, so they're occupied. ^_^

Lots of thoughtful remarks regarding a possible John Carter Roots set. When I became interested in this music a few years ago, I decided to hunt down the CD versions of the Roots set (and the Moers releases as well). Although I generally prefer records, I was skeptical whether I would be able to find the full set in acceptable condition (this music requires quiet vinyl in my opinion). It took me at least a year to collect the full set and I paid a fortune, certainly much more than the price of a regular Mosaic set. There must be others like me who are priced out of the market or simply want a pristine set. I think the set would sell well, in particular once people realize what they have missed. While I meanwhile have a pretty complete John Carter collection, I still would buy a Mosaic set for the documentation alone.

Edited by Misterioso

2 hours ago, Misterioso said:

There must be others like me who are priced out of the market or simply want a pristine set. I think the set would sell well, in particular once people realize what they have missed. While I meanwhile have a pretty complete John Carter collection, I still would buy a Mosaic set for the documentation alone.

I'd purchase that Mosaic too, but I think the chances are slim. The work on Moers is fantastic. I bet Cuscuna would even be enthusiastic, but I don't think Mosaic's direction is headed that way. There aren't enough Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, or Woody Herman Mosaics yet.  

Definitely the Harper set, that would be great! And as Soulpope mentioned: Waldron’s ‘70’s output on Japanese labels. That would be one hell of a release including

-Spanish Bitch

- The Call

- The Reminiscent Suite

- Number Nineteen

- Tokyo Bound

and more great stuff.  Best in both cases (Harper and Waldron) would be if there will be some previously unreleased stuff!

On 11/15/2019 at 0:01 AM, bresna said:

I don't even know who owns Gramavision these days.

I was curious as well and did some research: According to wikipedia, Gramavision was sold to Rykodisc in 1994, which then was acquired by Warner Music Group (WMG) in 2006. According to discogs, WMG has reissued 14 albums from the Gramavision catalogue after 2006, including 7 from John Scofield. Let's hope they reissue John Carter's albums as well some day.

Edited by Misterioso

1 hour ago, Misterioso said:

I was curious as well and did some research: According to wikipedia, Gramavision was sold to Rykodisc in 1994, which then was acquired by Warner Music Group (WMG) in 2006. According to discogs, WMG has reissued 14 albums from the Gramavision catalogue after 2006, including 7 from John Scofield. Let's hope they reissue John Carter's albums as well some day.

That corporate flow is right but when Rykodisc was sold, something happened to their catalog. For instance, both David Bowie & Frank Zappa  got their masters back. Maybe Carter's estate got his back too. We'd probably have to find someone on the inside to find out.

6 hours ago, Pim said:

- The Reminiscent Suite (Mal Waldron & Terumasa Hino)

I’ve been wanting Reminiscent Suite on CD ever since I first heard it 6-8 years ago. Vinyl copies are usually upwards of $85 or more, and I’ve never been able to score one for anything even remotely less.

Would LOVE to have it on CD someday. 

3 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Thanks for the fact-finding!

1 hour ago, bresna said:

That corporate flow is right but when Rykodisc was sold, something happened to their catalog. For instance, both David Bowie & Frank Zappa  got their masters back. Maybe Carter's estate got his back too. We'd probably have to find someone on the inside to find out.

Maybe somebody here?

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ve been wanting Reminiscent Suite on CD ever since I first heard it 6-8 years ago. Vinyl copies are usually upwards of $85 or more, and I’ve never been able to score one for anything even remotely less.

Would LOVE to have it on CD someday. 

Definitely superb ....

4 hours ago, bresna said:

Zappa was a special case. The masters were bought back. There were some threats of lawsuits in both directions between Zappa Family Trust and Ryko, this was definitely not a smooth process. Ryko's acquisition by Warner was not the main driver behind the transfer of Zappa's masters (although this might have helped - there is a well-publicized historical mutual Zappa / Warner animosity).    

Edited by Д.Д.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, JSngry said:

OMG, you're right! Geez, how long has it been since he had anything out? Where is he [Sonny Simmons] living? Is he ok? It's been a bit of a while, it seems...

Sonny Simmons recorded music as recently as 2014. It's easily available. I think he lives in France. 

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

That was five years ago. Once you pass a certain age, five years is a lot of time for a lot of things to happen.

I find the opposite.  As I get older 5 years goes by in a flash.  To crib from Douglas Adams: "Everything is recent since The Beatles Broke Up." 

Edited by medjuck