SOLD! Blue Note cds for sale, mostly Japanese editions

jazzbo

I have replaced these titles in my collection with “24 bit by Rudy Van Gelder” cd editions from Japan, so I am offering these Japanese Blue Note cds, and one US Connoisseur and one US Rudy Van Gelder Edition cds for sale. Prices include media mail shipping within the USA. USA only sales please.  All are NM condition. If interested PM here (or email me at lonjazz@yahoo.com)

The following are still available:

Art Blakey “At the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 1’ UCCQ-9498 10 dollars

Art Blakey “At the Jazz Corner of the World Vol. 2’ UCCQ-9499 10 dollars

Stanley Turrentine “Up at Minton’s Vol. 1” UCCQ-9529 10 dollars

If interested, PM me here or email me at lonjazz@yahoo.com Thanks!

Edited by jazzbo

Lon, do you prefer the sound on the JRVG CDs?

There has been criticism of Rudy's CD reissues over the years. I have a large number of them, both U.S. and Japanese, and I've never heard a bad one.

A tangentially related question: Have you heard the 2019 CD of "Bobby Hutcherson's "Total Eclipse" (UCCQ-9516)? I have the 80s U.S. CD, but I suspect that the new version will be better. We are often not told who remastered Japanese CDs, and new issues often re-use earlier masterings.

Yes, I didn't always prefer the sound of the JRVGs, but as my system has evolved, and become more flexible, revisiting the JRVGs I was really impressed with their sound, and I love their packaging. So I have been buying these when I can find them less than 20 dollars, and have decided I don't need to keep other copies of the same title when I have duplicates. (I also bought and just received that Superbit Jazz Classics version of "Byrd's Eye View" you had pointed out remastered by RVG--sounds wonderful).

"Total Eclipse" does sound a bit better In this new reissue.

Edited by jazzbo

Yes. That issue of "Byrd's Eye View" is an excellent package in every way. I also have "Watkins At Large" in that little series. The Transition LPs didn't have the album notes on the back cover. Instead, a loose booklet was inside the cover. My copy of "Bird's Eye View" has a cute replica of the booklet, but when "Watkins At Large" arrived, it had no booklet. Do you, or anyone else, have that CD, and did it come with a booklet?

I have that mini-LP version. The insert you mention must be the mainly-Japanese info sheet. In English, it has the tune titles, and a nice discography of Doug Watkins. I was hoping for a replica of the Transition LP note booklet. These loose inserts can be missing from second-hand Japanese CDs. Some people go nuts about the OBI strip: CDs with those can command much higher prices; Kupiku makes a big deal about them.