Jazz musicians that started their own labels.

Hardbopjazz

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Doug Hammond also ran his own label, Idibib.

that's true -- I have a few of those records as well.

Technically FMP was started by Brötzmann, von Schlippenbach, and Detlef Schönenberg with Jost Gebers as adviser, though they very quickly handed it off to him as it immediately became quite difficult to operate (at least for a gaggle of musicians). Wikipedia mentions Schoof and Kowald as well, though in our interview Gebers highlighted these other three figures as the driving force.

There's some incorrect information floating around in this thread and on the web about the self-determination  organinzations in Detroit and the record labels that they spawned. So, just to set the record straight: 

1) The Strata Corporation, including the Strata label, was founded by pianist Kenn Cox and trumpeter Charles Moore in 1969..

2) Tribe, including the record label, was formally incorporated by saxophonist Wendell Harrison and trombonist Phil Ranelin in January 1972, though the group Tribe had debuted a coupld months earlier. Doug Hammond had nothing to do with it, other than a record he co-led with David Durrah, was released on Tribe in the mid '70s. (That record, "Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen," was actually taped in San Francisco.") Coda: Marcus Belgrave and Harold McKinney are also often cited as co-founders of Tribe. This is incorrect too. They were part of the Tribe circle, but only Harrison and Ranelin were the founders.

And speaking of Detroit, Dizzy Gillespie started Dee Gee Records in the city with Detroit businessmen Dave Usher in 1951.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Gotcha, thanks. I was going on faulty memory.

add these to the pile:

Khan Jamal & Byard Lancaster = Dogtown

Jef Gilson = Palm

Frank Wright, Bobby Few, Alan Silva, Muhammad Ali = Center of the World Productions

Alan Silva = IACP (Institute of Art, Culture & Perception, which was also the school he set up in France)

Noah Howard = Altsax

Cecil Taylor = Unit Core

Rashied Ali = Survival

William Parker = Centering

Marco Eneidi = Botticelli

LaDonna Smith & Davey Williams = Trans Museq

Ra and Alton Abraham = Saturn (I don't totally understand the division with El Saturn/Thoth and when Abraham stepped away from the label)

Yes, as far as I know. Baobab was McNeill's too, I believe, or was set up for him (a la CjR and Hat Hut for McPhee).

more...

Bobby Naughton = Otic

Mario Pavone = Alacra

Wadada Leo Smith = Kabell

Threadgill, Muhal, Smith = TMS (though I understand it didn't really get off the ground and TMS was folded into Kabell. Chuck probably knows more).

Stan Tracey = Steam

Harry and Hazel Miller, Keith Beal = Ogun

Henry Kaiser, ROVA, Greg Goodman = Metalanguage/Beak Doctor

Andrea Centazzo = Ictus

Eugene Chadbourne = Parachute 

Graham Collier = Mosaic

Edited by clifford_thornton

Gunter Hampel = Birth

Mait Edey = Seeds

Jeanne Lee = Earthforms

Pierre Favre, Irène Schweizer, Peter Kowald = PIP 

Prince Lasha/Lawsha = Birdseye

Birthright/Paul Gresham = Freelance

Black Unity Trio = Salaam

Abdul Wadud = Bisharra

Kees Hazevoet = Snipe, KGB

Peter Brötzmann = BRÖ

Terumasa Hino = Love (JP)

A.R. Penck = Music Corporation (possibly co-run with his fellow sonic conspirators, the brothers Wollny)

Black Artists Group = Committee for Universal Justice