Teddy Edwards, RIP

Jim R

• 10 years later...

His ballad (self-penned I believe) "Afraid Of Love" is about as stirring, emotional and just plain brilliant a jazz ballad performance as you'll ever see. The statement of the theme itself is gut-wrenching.

Nuzzer reference.

• 4 years later...

I can't believe I missed this thread originally.  Great player and composer, I sometimes think of him like Mobley but with a harder edge in his sound.  

Anyway I found new (to me) Teddy last weekend and the PO dropped it off today:

Sunset Eyes 2000 - This was right around the time when Teddy was recording some fine things for HighNote, and its got a nice mix of Teddy's best tunes and some standards. Ernie Andrews sings on a few cuts too. Discogs and Amazon had copies when I snagged mine.

sunset eyes.JPG

Edited by Dan Gould

5 hours ago, BFrank said:

Teddy was great for sure. Didn't get the recognition he deserved. Probably because he was a "West Coast" musician.

Well I think there's a little more to it than that. He was West Coast geographically, very much East Coast musically. I think if his family had moved out of the south to the northeast instead of LA his career path would have been a little different. Imagine him signed to Blue Note.

Anyway also found this on Amazon but haven't gotten it yet. 90 minutes of music headlined by Teddy and Conte Candoli. Another $3 copy is available from the outfit I purchased from, and Amazon has it for $11 with Prime eligibility.

dvd.JPG

On 4/18/2020 at 3:46 AM, Dan Gould said:

Well I think there's a little more to it than that. He was West Coast geographically, very much East Coast musically. I think if his family had moved out of the south to the northeast instead of LA his career path would have been a little different. Imagine him signed to Blue Note.

That was the point I was trying to make. ;)