new Japanese Enja series in Jan

Harbour

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The McBee is fabulous, from back when Chico Freeman breathed fire (what happened to him?).  The Berger is also really good.  The Waldron's and the Tolliver and the Hannibal are, of course, no-brainers if you don't own them.  The Tolliver is a totally different album than the Strata-East of the same name.

14 hours ago, romualdo said:

Cecil Taylor Ruvo 2009, which looks like a new release? Unless it's a redo of Cecil with The Italian Instabile Orchestra at Ruvo (but that was in 2002).

I wondered about that one too. I have a feeling it's a re-do ... but hope that I'm mistaken.

2 hours ago, Late said:

I wondered about that one too. I have a feeling it's a re-do ... but hope that I'm mistaken.

CT with the Italian Instabile Orchestra was on September 10, 2000 (not 2002) and it was released by ENJA in 2003. A google translation shows that this new CD is a solo performance and previously unreleased. Here's what google does reveal from the Japanese: "Free jazz icon Cecil Taylor arrives in Luvo (sic!), Southern Italy in 2009! A completely unreleased sound source work that contains the pattern of a fierce solo performance live that repeatedly hit the piano with overwhelming concentration."

Related: Matthias Winckelmann from ENJA told me (again) last week that he is pondering about a DVD of the solo performance by CT which was recorded during the Talos festival where "The Owner of the River Bank" was recorded as well. I advised against this project and recommended a CD instead (maybe with a DVD included). The producer of the ENJA reissues in Japan has a similar opinion about a DVD release (sorry but I've forgot his name). Plus the above mentioned CD (with the Italian Instabile Orch.) from 2003 was recently reissued by Solid Records in May this year. Seems a bit unlikely that they do this re-release twice the same year.

On 10.10.2021 at 9:30 AM, Д.Д. said:

Would you be so kind to check with Herr Winckelmann if this new batch is also remastered by Ultra-Vybe? I find the Ultra-Vybe remastering just horrible...

Had a short telephone call with Matthias this afternoon. He said that the remastering is done in Munich, Germany by an old companion (won't add his name here). So Ultra-Vybe / Solid Records is not responsible.

Apart from that I've asked him about the upcoming Cecil Taylor CD on Solid Records and he confirmed that the recording is a solo recording from Ruvo 2000 and not from 2009! It's actually the recording I've mentioned above.

1 minute ago, djcavanagh said:

That is great news. Did he say if it will be getting a release outside of Japan?

He did not say anything about a release outside of Japan. But during the last few years I've already asked him several times about the prospect of ENJA reissues for the European  and/or US market. Or at least to re-import some to Germany. But reimport doesn't make sense financially. And at least in Germany there's seemingly not so much interest in these re-editions. So in short: no. - For my part I shall do order it in Japan. He has the CD already but only one copy. He never cared that much about an archive of his own productions. This sometimes leads to challenging situations. Some weeks ago he mentioned that he was asked by Blue Note about a vinyl reissue of an ENJA title on Blue Note Records. But it seems that the master tapes are gone.

1 hour ago, Onxidlib said:

Some weeks ago he mentioned that he was asked by Blue Note about a vinyl reissue of an ENJA title on Blue Note Records. But it seems that the master tapes are gone.

The only Blue Note / ENJA artist 'crossover' I can think of would be that single (long) Hutcherson-Land track "The Creators" from the various artists live ENJA release Live At The Festival.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2801706-Bobby-Hutcherson-Harold-Land-Bill-Evans-Eddie-Gomez-Archie-Shepp-Karin-Krog-Live-At-The-Festival

Or is there anyone else besides Bobby Hutcherson I'm forgetting?  Just curious what Blue Note could have even been considering.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

He did not say anything about a release outside of Japan. But during the last few years I've already asked him several times about the prospect of ENJA reissues for the European  and/or US market. Or at least to re-import some to Germany. But reimport doesn't make sense financially. And at least in Germany there's seemingly not so much interest in these re-editions. So in short: no. - For my part I shall do order it in Japan. He has the CD already but only one copy. He never cared that much about an archive of his own productions. This sometimes leads to challenging situations. Some weeks ago he mentioned that he was asked by Blue Note about a vinyl reissue of an ENJA title on Blue Note Records. But it seems that the master tapes are gone.

That’s really helpful, thanks. Will order from Japan in that case.

Had a short telephone call with Matthias this afternoon. He said that the remastering is done in Munich, Germany by an old companion (won't add his name here). So Ultra-Vybe / Solid Records is not responsible.

Thanks! If remastering is not done by Ultra-Vybe this is excellent news, as far as I am concerned. I stayed away from these Enja reissues but now might pick a couple. 

On 10/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

The 2 Michael Formanek records were ignored back in the day - both are marvelous 

Very true. 

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The only Blue Note / ENJA artist 'crossover' I can think of would be that single (long) Hutcherson-Land track "The Creators" from the various artists live ENJA release Live At The Festival.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2801706-Bobby-Hutcherson-Harold-Land-Bill-Evans-Eddie-Gomez-Archie-Shepp-Karin-Krog-Live-At-The-Festival

Or is there anyone else besides Bobby Hutcherson I'm forgetting?  Just curious what Blue Note could have even been considering.

Another track from this concert was on another compilation (see below).

It is not very clear what Blue Note might have been looking into. Maybe it was a different ENJA date. The comment did not seem to suggest that it was necessarily an artist signed to Blue Note, but this is a valid theory - ENJA probably had to get clearance at the time.

It would not be a reissue though. If there were other cuts it would be the first time out for those. I hope it is not this session.

His sloppiness is not reassuring to hear.

Live At The Festival : Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land Quintet : Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Hal Galper (p) Reggie Johnson (b) Joe Chambers (d) Zusaan Kali Fasteau (perc)

Live, "International Jazz Festival Ljubljana 1970", Krizanke, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia, June 4-6, 1970
  The creators Enja (G)LP2030, (G)CD2030-2 [CD]
  Man on Mercury (zkf out) Helidon (Yugo)LP-08-003
Note: For the rest of Enja (G)LP2030, (G)CD2030-2 [CD] see Bill Evans, Karin Krog & Archie Shepp.

17 hours ago, bertrand said:

Another track from this concert was on another compilation (see below).

It is not very clear what Blue Note might have been looking into. Maybe it was a different ENJA date. The comment did not seem to suggest that it was necessarily an artist signed to Blue Note, but this is a valid theory - ENJA probably had to get clearance at the time.

It would not be a reissue though. If there were other cuts it would be the first time out for those. I hope it is not this session.

His sloppiness is not reassuring to hear.

Live At The Festival : Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land Quintet : Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Hal Galper (p) Reggie Johnson (b) Joe Chambers (d) Zusaan Kali Fasteau (perc)

Live, "International Jazz Festival Ljubljana 1970", Krizanke, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia, June 4-6, 1970
  The creators Enja (G)LP2030, (G)CD2030-2 [CD]
  Man on Mercury (zkf out) Helidon (Yugo)LP-08-003
Note: For the rest of Enja (G)LP2030, (G)CD2030-2 [CD] see Bill Evans, Karin Krog & Archie Shepp.

The artist (the leader that is) for the proposed reissue on Blue Note never had a leader date on BN. I'm even quite sure that he was never on a Blue Note release at all. The pianist had leader dates on CD but not on LP, although he could have had it because of his age. Sorry but I won't reveal the name in public at this stage. As far as I recall it Matthias told me that the idea for this release came from a kind of poll Blue Note did some time ago. Is there something like a BN club or appreciation society related to Blue Note?

• 3 months later...