• 2 months later...

2nd series of this coming out in April with a few first time on cd

https://merurido.jp/topic.php?srcbnr=38801

โ— Tommy Flanagan / Super Session
โ— Elvin Jones / Live At The Village Vanguard
โ— Mar Waldron / Up Popped The Devil
โ— Benny Wallace / Live At The Public Theater
โ— Hampton Hawesย / Live at the Jazz Showcase Chicago Vol.1
โ— Manfred Shoof Meets ใƒป Yosuke Yamashita Trio / Distant Thunder (World's First CD)
โ— Dollar Brand / African Spaceใƒป Program (first CD in Japan)
โ— Pepper Adams / Julian
โ— Yosuke Yamashita / Bansuri Kana
โ— John Scofield / Rough House
โ— Joe Lovano / Sounds of Joy
โ— Abby Lincoln / Abbey Things Billy Holiday Vol.1
โ— Aki Takase-David Murray / Blue Monk
โ— Niels Pedersen-Philipp Katereen / Art of the Duo
โ— Max Roach / Long as Your Living (First CD in Japan)
โ— Aki Takase / Clappingย Music
Carl Bergaย ใƒผ & Masahiko Sato / With Silence (World's first CD)
โ— Sun Raย & His Omniverses Orchestra / Destination Unknown
โ— Trio M / The Guest House (Japan's first CD)
โ— Ron Miles Bill Friesel-Brian Blade / Circuit Rider (First CD in Japan)

That's a really nice Max Roach session (ca. 1960) with Julian Priester, the Turrentine Brothers, and Bob Boswell.ย  The Hampton Hawes looks interesting (trio with McBee/Haynes), though I have never heard it.

Edited by felser

Some really nice stuff on that list.

I only have a DL of Up Popped the Devil, so I'll definitely be ordering that one.

ย 

36 minutes ago, felser said:

The Hampton Hawes looks interesting (trio with McBee/Haynes), though I have never heard it.

Yes, the Hawes is outstanding.ย  Be advised though: The audio fidelity is less than ideal...ย but the music is superb.

I doย wish they would haveย reissued Vol. 2 instead.ย  Enja has already reissued Vol. 1, but I don't think Vol. 2 has ever had a CD reissue.

ย 

On 11/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, Late said:

I really, really wish Manfred Schoof'sย Distant Thunder on enjaย would be reissued. It's never been on compact disc.

ย 

12 hours ago, Harbour said:

โ— Manfred SchoofใƒปYosuke Yamashita Trio / Distant Thunder (World's First CD)

Bam!ย :tup

Up Poppedย The Devilย is excellent. Recorded well though veryย up close โ€” hopefully Solid doesn't do too much with the transfer. Reggie Workman's bass sounds really good on this date.

The Pepper Adams session,ย Julian,ย is also very good. Recommended.

I haven't connected with the Dollar Brand date for some reason. It's certainly a solid session, but ... maybe I just need to listen to it more.

I'm excited to finally haveย Distant Thunderย on compact disc!!! Akira Sakata just kills. Fierce music โ€” not for listeners who don't like "noise" in their tea!

ย 

3 hours ago, felser said:

That's the case for me with a lot of his recordings, though he also has ones I really like.

I adore his debut on Reprise. After that, I tend to gravitate to the solo recordings. Hamba Khaleย is an exception though.
โ€ข
On another note, I was just thinking how, in 2020, and contrary to widespread U.S. reporting,ย the compact disc is actually not dead.ย Thanks to Japan, the medium โ€” as unwieldy, cumbersome, and space-depleting as it is โ€” is still around!ย Distant Thunderย is a true "reissue."

3 hours ago, Late said:

I adore his debut on Reprise. After that, I tend to gravitate to the solo recordings. Hamba Khaleย is an exception though.
โ€ข
On another note, I was just thinking how, in 2020, and contrary to widespread U.S. reporting,ย the compact disc is actually not dead.ย Thanks to Japan, the medium โ€” as unwieldy, cumbersome, and space-depleting as it is โ€” is still around!ย Distant Thunderย is a true "reissue."

Not nearly as unwieldy, cumbersome, and space-depleting as you-know-what, which are all the rage now:

Image result for vinyl albums tower records

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to Yosuke Yamashita'sย Clayย right now. The sound is AMAZING. Yes, it's louder than the vinyl โ€” Solid followedย theirย standard approach to compression โ€”ย but there's a live presence (it's a live date) that the vinyl doesn't possess. Far more visceral. (The sound does peak at times, but it's infrequent.)ย I can't recommend this one highly enough. It's beenย 31ย years since this session was on compact disc!ย If you like Cecil Taylor-esque trios (in this case clarinet, piano, drums), this recording is one you should check out. Yamashita's trio puts more space โ€” and quiet โ€” in between their noise than a typical Taylor session, if that helps to describe the recording. But there definitely is NOISE, inย the most positive of ways. It's alive in the best possible (free) way.

Takeo Moriyama has got to be one of the most under-valued "free" drummers around. Tony Williams, I think, would have loved his playing.

Anyone else have this new disc? What are your reactions? The music (if you like "free" jazz) is heavenly.

• 1 month later...