Peter Brötzmann - I Surrender Dear

EKE BBB

2 hours ago, Justin V said:

I've dreamt of a Brotzmann standards album and have stated elsewhere how, despite the extremes of his playing, Brotzmann is fundamentally a melodic player.  I'm adding this to my list and hoping that he swings through on a solo tour in support of the album.

I agree. And his melodic site particularly shows in his solo recordings, This one is no exception, highly recommended. A solo tour would be great!

well....I have great admiration for his open playing, but this thing is an ordeal. Just listening through, there are some obvious mistakes on I Surrender Dear (yes I can tell they are mistakes; remember what Ornette told us). He is making obvious ear-related flubs around the melody.

Yes, just my opinion, folks. But as one who admires how, for example, Braxton puts standards on his own terms, I gotta say that to my ears Brotzmann has not worked out an approach that justifies this recording.

Yeah, I am with Allen on this one. I used to like Brötzmann a lot, seen him live numerous times (and just checked - have 47 of his albums!). Every time he tries to play "tunes" his technical limitations are painfully apparent. One of the recorded examples would be the trio session "Songlines" with Rashied Ali and Fred Hopkins.

As an aside, Allen, since you mention Braxton and standards, could you please provide your perspective on these? I honestly don't get it - to me, as a non-musician with far from perfect ears - this sounds like horrendous playing:

Edited by Д.Д.

20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Yeah, I am with Allen on this one. I used to like Brötzmann a lot, seen him live numerous times (and just checked - have 47 of his albums!). Every time he tries to play "tunes" his technical limitations are painfully apparent. One of the recorded examples would be the trio session "Songlines" with Rashied Ali and Fred Hopkins.

As an aside, Allen, since you mention Braxton and standards, could you please provide your perspective on these? I honestly don't get it - to me, as a non-musician with far from perfect ears - this sounds like horrendous playing:

I don't like Anthony's playing on the records he made with a straight rhythm section; however, there is a live version of What is This Thing Called Love in which, because he is only playing with a sympathetic bass player, he really turns it into something personal and interesting. I will see if I can locate it.

well it's a different performance, but I love this:

and there is this: