One day at North Sea Jazz

David Ayers

Dizzy with a large band, Miriam Makeba, and backing vocalists; Ornette and Prime Time; Charlie Haden’s Liberation Music; David Murray quartet; Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy; and many big names I missed, or just strolled through the tent, because they overlapped: Oscar Peterson, Shorty Rogers, Gary Burton...

Things have changed. 

Well - it wasn’t quite that lineup when last I visited (and the only time) but Dizzy’s Big Band was there sans Dizzy but with Slide Hampton and James Moody. There was also Hank Jones, Trio Beyond with Jack deJohnette, Yusef Lateef and the Belmondos, Dave Holland, Kenny Wheeler with Norma Winstone,  Regina Carter and that was just the jazz. On the main stage was Buddy Guy, Roy Hargrove’s Christol, Sly and the Family Stone (without Sly) and Candi Staton. I’m sure there were others too which I may have forgotten.

To cap it all one of the shop stalls had the entire 32 Jazz CD catalogue at 5 Euros each !

Golden era..

Oh - I almost forgot the Wayne Shorter Quartet and Pat Martino performances that weekend too.

Edited by sidewinder

I guess you must have been a few years ahead of me when more of those legends were around. Let me guess - about 1987/88 when Shorty Rogers was still touring the UK and Europe. I remember seeing Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy around that time too.

There was a heck of a lot of good stuff I missed too in the mad crush scramble between the halls at ‘Ahoy’, Rotterdam (think that’s what it was called).

20 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw many Dizzy concerts but missed the Diz-Makeba thing. I think that was the last time he performed in Europe, Right ? Friends who attended it told me it was not so much Dizzy. I think I also saw a CD of it and traced that there is not so much of Dizzy playing on it.

It was as much Dizzy as anyone was going to get at that point, and it was a memorable show.