Lee Morgan 60s Mosaic set

From today’s Mosaic newsletter:

Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan: A Duo Made in Blue Note Heaven

The team of Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley was made in Blue Note heaven. Kindred spirits with contrasting personalities, they made an amazing amount of gorgeous, soulful music together in the ‘50s and ‘60s. David Brent Johnson has seen fit to celebrate their partnerships on his Night Lights program. Interestingly, a number of his musical choices were tracks left unissued until after their deaths, which Mosaic Records is revisiting with our set The Complete Hank Mobley Blue Note Sessions 1963-1970. Everything and anything they did together is of value and merit. And a ‘60s Morgan Mosaic set should follow next year!

-Michael Cuscuna

Edited by greggery peccary

Can't wait to see what's in the box? Er, check the online discography, or Discogs.

What a disappointment, to see this news. Another set that's not needed - as discussed elsewhere - when there is important unreleased material. At least it will have the latest mastering, using the latest technology (or words to that effect - nice try, lol).

2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

What a disappointment, to see this news. Another set that's not needed - as discussed elsewhere - when there is important unreleased material. At least it will have the latest mastering, using the latest technology (or words to that effect - nice try, lol).

Just my thoughts. I have all of Morgan's albums that I like. 

I'll probably skip the Mobley set, too,as much as I love his music, cause I have everything except for a few alternates.

Lee-Way   1960   Blue Note

The Sidewinder   1964   Blue Note
Search for the New Land   1964 (Release 1966)   Blue Note
Tom Cat   1964 (Release 1980)   Blue Note
The Rumproller   1965   Blue Note
The Gigolo   1968   Blue Note
Cornbread   1967   Blue Note
Infinity   1965   Blue Note
Delightfulee   1966   Blue Note
Charisma   1966   Blue Note
The Rajah   1966   Blue Note
Standards   1967   Blue Note
Sonic Boom   1967   Blue Note
The Procrastinator   1967/1969 (Release 1978)   Blue Note
The Sixth Sense   1967   Blue Note
Taru   1968   Blue Note
Caramba!   1968   Blue Note

My Dad would say "1960 is the last year of at the 'fifties it's not the 'sixties" but most people would probably include LeeWay as one of the albums. 

That's a lot of albums! Maybe 9 cds or more in a box set?

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I gotta go with your Dad on this one. For me, "60s Lee Morgan" doesn't really begin until he comes back from the (figuratively) dead with The Sidewinder. Then shit starts to happen.

Take Twelve...eh...

Agreed on 'Take Twelve', and the same for the Vee Jay's, but I like 'Leeway' quite a bit.

I feel like we already did Lee Morgan and, even more so than with the new Mobley, there can be few revelations here even for the lesser spotted ‘new’ collector, who can in any case easily find most of these titles in hard copy and can stream all of it any time.

I guess there’s some folks with settled tastes who wouldn’t mind a refresh, but, uh...

what is the current state of the relationship between mosaic and blue note. im sorry you guys,i should of told don to be good to michael cuscana and give him anything he wants.  but all i was saying was don, we gotta go back into the vault for unissued tapes--- If i could get the day 1 Cornbread session on there, I'd be in. YES just released a new box set comprised of a live show they released 6 years prior, but it contains 4 new studio tracks from 2012. 

On 11/28/2019 at 8:35 PM, greggery peccary said:

I think that there is something to be said for "The Mosaic Treatment." I have all of the individual CDs but I'll still be inclined to get the Mosaic set. What can i say?

I also have the individual cd's and intend to get the Mosaic set.  I find that the collation, remastering,  and contextualization makes a tremendous difference for me as a listener.  I had all the Duke Ellington 32-40 stuff, but that became one of my all time favorite Mosaic sets for those reasons.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, David Ayers said:

I feel like we already did Lee Morgan and, even more so than with the new Mobley, there can be few revelations here even for the lesser spotted ‘new’ collector, who can in any case easily find most of these titles in hard copy and can stream all of it any time.

I guess there’s some folks with settled tastes who wouldn’t mind a refresh, but, uh...

One can buy the legit 5 Original Albums box, which includes Search for the New Land, The Rumproller, Lee-Way, Delightfulee and The Cooker (I know, it's from the '50s) for $15 on Amazon.  I realized that if I were to buy that box, I'd have all but 4 of the albums included in the Mosaic.  No matter how much I love Lee Morgan, I am not at the point where I am willing to rebuy material I already have that has already been reissued in satisfactory form.  There is so much music out there that I haven't heard for me to pay a premium to repurchase a huge chunk.

Edited by Justin V

4 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I have all of the individually-reissued CDs, but I'll still bite on a Mosaic.

I'm afraid in this situation, I will take a pass.  I've run out of space for Mosaic boxes, so it has to be something quite special (and definitely not something that is available in other formats!) for me to even begin to consider it.

• 2 months later...
On 28-11-2019 at 3:35 AM, greggery peccary said:

I think that there is something to be said for "The Mosaic Treatment." I have all of the individual CDs but I'll still be inclined to get the Mosaic set. What can i say?

On 30-11-2019 at 4:57 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

I also have the individual cd's and intend to get the Mosaic set.  I find that the collation, remastering,  and contextualization makes a tremendous difference for me as a listener.  

On 1-12-2019 at 2:09 AM, ghost of miles said:

I have all of the individually-reissued CDs, but I'll still bite on a Mosaic.

Same here, I have all of Lee Morgan's 1960s Blue Notes (listened to all of them again these last few days :o), but I'm still getting the Mosaic if/when it comes out. Also got the 1960s Mobley, although I have the individual CDs.

Edited by J.A.W.