Lee Morgan 60s Mosaic set

Have really enjoyed the Mobley 63-70 over the past few days and although all of the music was very familiar to me, it got me to think again about the development of the music, the interaction with Billy Higgins (a highlight of the set) and some all star walk on parts by the likes of Andrew Hill.

I’ll be ‘in’ for the Lee Morgan too - also assuming that Malcolm Addey does the remastering.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Addey's mastering on this set is very good. He was also it seems given.very good transfers to master as he is not credited with the transfers. I'm looking forward to the Lee Morgan set.

I notice Hank set is on backorder till March.  Dusty Groove has it, though I may wait a tiny longer.  I don't expect the set to stay in print like the 50's Mobley, yet all the music is available in original album form streaming... the question I have is how often will I play it given my days of being hooked/collecting hard bop are largely over, but I do want the 60's Mobley set as I have only the RVG of No Room For Squares

6 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

I notice Hank set is on backorder till March.  Dusty Groove has it, though I may wait a tiny longer.  I don't expect the set to stay in print like the 50's Mobley, yet all the music is available in original album form streaming... the question I have is how often will I play it given my days of being hooked/collecting hard bop are largely over, but I do want the 60's Mobley set as I have only the RVG of No Room For Squares

I had the same thoughts or questions that you did but after deciding not to get it and cancelling my order I purchased the set because I decided that I might want it at one point and didn’t want to be shut out from purchasing the set in case I changed my mind. 

7 hours ago, Brad said:

I had the same thoughts or questions that you did but after deciding not to get it and cancelling my order I purchased the set because I decided that I might want it at one point and didn’t want to be shut out from purchasing the set in case I changed my mind. 

Yeah, I think it'll be around a few months, the set.  Indeed, people wanting physical product seems rare I still do though I also stream because I feel like it's a test drive to see if I really want an album.

• 5 months later...

One of the owners of the Jazzcenter-recordshop in The Hague (that sadly will go out of business this fall) claims to be have contacted Michael Cuscuna on this and supposedly a release is not on the cards for this year. Maybe next.

Whether it will contain any unreleased material is unclear. Most likely not. it's just not deemed fit for release. Or so I was told.

O well, i wasn't too optimistic there anyway. But one always has hope.

Edited by Mark13

On 11/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, Justin V said:

No matter how much I love Lee Morgan, I am not at the point where I am willing to rebuy material I already have that has already been reissued in satisfactory form.  There is so much music out there that I haven't heard for me to pay a premium to repurchase a huge chunk.

Same point of view here, I did not get the sixties Mobley for that reason, but I might be interested in the Morgan if it ever materializes.