Controversial Food Opinions

Just enjoyed an amusing/bemusing/utterly insane twitter thread "controversial food opinions" so I thought we might see what people come up with here. I have many but I'll start with these two:

There's a toasty place in hell for people who put mustard AND ketchup on anything. (my wife is exempt from this, because she's my wife. The rest of you are riding the express elevator DOWN.)

Cream cheese may be infused with lox (chunks or flavor), chives, or herbs/chives combo. It should NEVER be infused with maple walnut or heaven help us, chocolate (there were several other flavor abominations I saw yesterday at Brandon Bagels, but I'll start with those two).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've begun mixing cream cheese with crunchy peanut butter for my rice cakes. Everybody else thinks it's disgusting, but I love it.

Not to change subjects, but on rice cakes? If that is for weight loss I gotta tell ya the cream cheese and the PB kinda defeat the purpose of the rice cakes.

Oh, and ... :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad:

13 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Not to change subjects, but on rice cakes? If that is for weight loss I gotta tell ya the cream cheese and the PB kinda defeat the purpose of the rice cakes.

It's not weight loss, just, uh.....weight maintenance. I don't lose, but I don't gain.

This is not food, but it's still a sensory indulgence that seems weird to me. The hair salon I go to shows promo videos in their waiting area, and the last time I was in, they had one for their shampoo where this lady squirts a normal size dollop into her palm, and then smells it, I mean, a big deep huffywhiff. I was like WTF was THAT?!?!?! so I ask my stylist (who I've seen for about 20 years, and we share a sensibility of humor) and she says all deadpan, well, sure, shampoo is a very sensory experience, most people enjoy smelling it before using it, you should try it if you don't believe me.

And the thing is - I think she was deadpanning. But not 100% certain?

20 minutes ago, catesta said:

...cheddar and bacon (tasty)

Always!

Putting anything in coffee makes it not-coffee.  The same goes for salad with dressing, perhaps excusing some minimal amount of oil and vinegar or some such.

I'm against cooking any vegetable that doesn't require it to be edible.  (Potato, brussels sprout...)

8 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Not even on a hot dog?!

Ketchup on a hot dog?  Am I misreading this? 

Edited by BeBop

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Salt on watermelons and/or other fruits is a crime against nature. Still.

In the hierarchy of such crimes, this pales next to mayo on french fries.

43 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

I think Jim's snack sounds tasty.

I hate those U.S. salad dressings in a clear bottle with all sorts of creepy things floating in them. Looks like puke. Yechh. All one needs is malt vinegar and olive oil. Not that horrible clear vinegar that you come up against so often.

You mean herbs and spices?

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Mayo on fries? Who the hell does THAT????

otoh, tartar sauce works. Learned that from a New Hampshire cat.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/59211/french-fries-around-world

https://firstwefeast.com/features/mayo-with-fries-is-the-best

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, I mean those brand-name salad dressing bottles. Disgusting muck.

When I was an undergrad, I saw guys in the cafeteria having fries covered with gravy.

Grits ARE good, and are not difficult to make. I do them in parallel with the other stuff. I use Quaker, in the cylindrical 24 oz. tub. Just the plain one, not the ones with dried puke bits added.

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

There's a toasty place in hell for people who put mustard AND ketchup on anything. (my wife is exempt from this, because she's my wife. The rest of you are riding the express elevator DOWN.)

Well I always knew I was going to hell in a bucket, at least I'll enjoy the ride as the Grateful Dead song goes. Mustard and ketchup on a hamburger, I confess.

2 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

Well I always knew I was going to hell in a bucket, at least I'll enjoy the ride as the Grateful Dead song goes. Mustard and ketchup on a hamburger, I confess.

OH I think that's worse than the usual coveree of a hot dog. :g

Seriously if I have to put something on a burger I'd prefer barbeque sauce but really, 2-3 tomatoes get you the ketchup flavor without the added sugar. Mustard plus ketchup is like, what do I want here?  Its as bad as bad as the mustard/mayo combo I see being requested on subs. Go for the spice of mustard of the creamy mayo don't do both! Commit!!! :g

Speaking of mustard it is required on ham - nothing else can go on ham.  Your post-Thanksgiving sandwich better have mayo on that bird though.