Controversial Food Opinions

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Salt on watermelons and/or other fruits is a crime against nature. Still.

Well, umpteen million Indians would say otherwise.:)

My missus puts ketchup and mustard on her hot dogs as a matter of course.

BTW, what is a rice cake ?

Edited by kinuta

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe more 'weird' than controversial, but ever since I was a kid (maybe 7 years old), I've always loved mustard on french fries -- WAY more than ketchup.  There are some curry-ketchups I've had (at some 'German'-street-food restaurants here in DC in the last 6-8 years) that are pretty good too.

But 90% of the time, it's mustard for me on french fries -- for as long as I can remember (i.e going on 44 years now).

Yes, ham must have mustard on it.

My late wife was from Ontario, Canada. Her parents took her to England in the 60s. She was used to that miserable, weak North American French's muck. (Jay Leno said of it "We may not be French, but we sure are yellow.".) She had a ham sandwich and plastered it with English mustard (made with only mustard powder and water) and, she said, it nearly blew her head off. The only other thing she remembered from her visit was dog shit on the sidewalks.

In some parts of Belgique and France they put French fries with sauce on a baquette. Whyy..... ???????????? As if that is tasty.

But the Dutchman know how to shock the rational and normal 'foodcommunity' and rape your taste buds completly because they've designed ' De kapsalon'. Doner (Shoarma -like meat), salad, garlicsauce, French fries, all covered in melted cheap Cheese ( cheese ??). The dutchman eats that on saturdaynights for pleasure. Disgusting invention.

Edited by Referentzhunter

11 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

In some parts of Belgique and France they put French fries with sauce on a baquette. Whyy..... ???????????? As if that is tasty.

But the Dutchman know how to shock the rational and normal 'foodcommunity' and rape your taste buds completly because they've designed ' De kapsalon'. Doner (Shoarma -like meat), salad, garlicsauce, French fries, all covered in melted cheap Cheese ( cheese ??). The dutchman eats that on saturdaynights for pleasure. Disgusting invention.

That sounds like it would be a huge hit in Tokyo.

Just sprinkle with katsuobushi:party:

Chip butties have a long culinary history in the north of England.

Recipe.

Two slices of bread & butter

Pile of chips on one slice. That's fries for non Brits.

Liberal dose of salt and vinegar.

Top with second slice.

I have a chip butty when we have fish & chips at home. My wife, who is Japanese, is well used to them but initially looked on in disbelief.

The Indians also got in on the act -

Image result for chip butty

Edited by kinuta

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, kinuta said:

BTW, what is a rice cake ?

A patty-type construction made of puffed rice, sometimes with additional flavoring, sometimes not, It's a staple of dieting, because it's filling(ish), it's got flavor (sorta), and it's mostly air.

Puffed-Rice-Cake-Private-Label.jpg_350x3

Actually, there's a brown rice version that is tasty enough to eat by itself.

LFF023.jpg

Those are pretty good!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

A patty-type construction made of puffed rice, sometimes with additional flavoring, sometimes not, It's a staple of dieting, because it's filling(ish), it's got flavor (sorta), and it's mostly air.

Those are pretty good!

Sure that's not styrofoam construction?

styro.JPG

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Actually, there's a brown rice version that is tasty enough to eat by itself.

LFF023.jpg

Those are pretty good!

OK, cheers.

I thought it might be something like mochi but it's puffed rice compressed into cakes.

I've never seen it before.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Rice cakes taste like cardboard.  

I asked because I wondered if they were the English translation for mochi, which is a very popular item in Japan. It's made from glutinous rice pounded into a sticky paste and shaped into semi spherical morsels.

I can't stand the stuff but it's widely eaten, especially at New Year when ,without fail, several old folks choke to death on it. :alien:

However this type is excellent -

Image result for mochi

Edited by kinuta

Aussies think it's perfectly normal to top a pizza with Pineapple and/or Bacon & Egg!!! Granted the quality of (takeout) pizza base is so awful that any topping might improve it, but bacon & eggs?

Then again, this from the country that proudly ingests Vegemite! Vegemite is basically road asphalt with insane levels of salt added. Yum.

Vegemite on pizza, perhaps? :D

19 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Here in the US at least pizza with pineapple and ham is known as Hawaiian pizza. How is the egg prepared? I'm picturing a big fried egg in the middle of the pie.

I've seen them crack open a raw egg over the just cooked pizza, so it's still kinda runny. The bacon went in with the pizza at the start and so is almost dust at this point!

edit - Captain Howdy, yeah we call it (with pineapple) Hawaiian pizza here as well.

Edited by Marzz

Raw eggs are eaten with Sukiyaki and Gyudon.

Gyudon(rice bowl with beef) restaurants  always offer raw egg.

Some people add a dash of shoyu (soy sauce). I always add a heap of red chilli flakes.

I think any kind of sweet pizza, especially pineapple, is utterly horrible.

Edited by kinuta

I'm gonna make you all mad now, because I am very fond of Waffle House. Not for waffles, though they make good ones. That name is misleading. It is a Southern grub place, of course.

They have an excellent country ham, and, back in the 90s, when America was suffering under battery acid coffee (Maxwell House, Folgers and all the others in the 3 lb tins), Waffle House's coffee was quite decent.