Controversial Food Opinions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Justin V said:

As a longtime vegetarian, I've grown to appreciate tofu.  When cooked and used correctly, it can be a tasty, effective vehicle for sauces. 

White  chocolate is vile stuff.

Here the chocolate manufacturers dreamed up something called 'white day'.

People who receive chocolate on Valentines day are being persuaded that as a social duty they should return the gift in kind on White day, preferably with the dreaded, nobody wants to buy, white muck.

Seems the campaign has been partially successful but has predicably failed to catch the popular imagination. 

Tofu is tofu, no big deal one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

Just so's you know: Tofu is made from soy, which is "an industrial poison".

That's so wrong..

Tofu is made from soy beans, and can be made with magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt), which can be considered an "industrial poison" in certain quantities and applications, but which can also be perfectly healthy and beneficial when used appropriately.

I mean, hell, you can make your own. Really, you can.

I've never seen mayonnaise ON french fries, but in Belgian restaurants I see that pommes frites come with a container of mayo (aoli) on the side and you DIP one fry at a time into it. Just a little. It's not SPREAD over a pile of fries like ketchup. Maybe some places spread it over but I haven't seen that.

I''m kinda surprised gumbo hasn't been mentioned. Wikipedia will usually says it's a soup or stew. I disagree. It's its own thing. I fix chicken soup, chicken stew, and chicken gumbo and they are all very different from one another. Well, chicken stew is closer to chicken gumbo than chicken soup is. But we call it chicken fricassee.

Cajuns may state forcefully that gumbo has NO tomatoes in it. That's New Orleans style. I disagree with that too. I grew up in Vermilion parish which is one of the most Cajun parishes there is., Even when I went to school the cafeteria ladies fixed okra and shrimp gumbo and it DID have a little bit, not a lot, of tomato in it. It was definitely NOT a New Orleans recipe. I doubt those cafeteria ladies knew any New Orleans recipes! My mother used a little and so do I when I make it.

How do you dress your hamburgers? I put ketchup on the bottom bun and mayo on the top bun. Lettuce and tomato and top of the patty.

For steamed or boiled shrimp or crawfish a lot of Cajuns fix their own sauce at the table --  a mixture of ketchup, mayo, and worcestershire sauce. For oysters you vary that with a little bit of horseradish. Restaurants used to put all those ingredients on the table and you fixed your own sauce at the table.

I don't know why but in English we don't say make something, we say fix something. But in French we DO say fait (make or do). Even in A Confederacy of Dunces, set in New Orleans, the characters say "Fix me a weenie" (Make me a hot dog)  to the Lucky Dog representative. I guess it's both Cajun English and Yat.

Edited by Neal Pomea