Vandermark box set drought finally over

David Ayers

1 minute ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Hamid Drake listed as one of the musicians but NOT listed as a musician on any of the individual discs. 

Missed it on the 36 minute disc 6. KV in a trio with both Prevost & Drake sounds like it might be very good.

fwiw I’m in between on KV’s playing. I find his clarinet playing sub-par and he’s hit or miss on tenor. I’ve always liked his riff-based playing. As far as intricate dynamics within his free playing it pales in comparison to someone like John Butcher. 

I’m interested to hear how he holds up in a duo with the amazing Nate Wooley and I’m especially curious (maybe in a viewing of a car crash) to hear him alone with the aforementioned Butcher. Butcher in my view is one of the best 3 or 4 improvising saxophonists on the planet - especially in small formations improvs.

I like his riffing on baritone saxophone. I’m hoping he brought his baritone sax to Kraków. 

4 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Missed it on the 36 minute disc 6. KV in a trio with both Prevost & Drake sounds like it might be very good.

fwiw I’m in between on KV’s playing. I find his clarinet playing sub-par and he’s hit or miss on tenor. I’ve always liked his riff-based playing. As far as intricate dynamics within his free playing it pales in comparison to someone like John Butcher. 

I’m interested to hear how he holds up in a duo with the amazing Nate Wooley and I’m especially curious (maybe in a viewing of a car crash) to hear him alone with the aforementioned Butcher. Butcher in my view is one of the best 3 or 4 improvising saxophonists on the planet - especially in small formations improvs.

I like his riffing on baritone saxophone. I’m hoping he brought his baritone sax to Kraków. 

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm trying to hear KV riffing away on his bari whilst Butcher plays some bar walking tenor. It's not happening...

All riffed out on the KV front, having just worked through 5/6 of The Fire Each Time. In a club context or with a better mix it would probably work better, but too much is too much. By coincidence, off to hear Prévost/Rowe/Tilbury tomorrow. Now that’s more like it. Re. Butcher - yeah. 

4 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

All riffed out on the KV front, having just worked through 5/6 of The Fire Each Time. In a club context or with a better mix it would probably work better, but too much is too much. By coincidence, off to hear Prévost/Rowe/Tilbury tomorrow. Now that’s more like it. Re. Butcher - yeah. 

That box set is three CDs too long for me. I'm missing tomorrow at Oto, wish I wasn't. 

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That box set is three CDs too long for me. I'm missing tomorrow at Oto, wish I wasn't. 

In fact I’m seeing them in Canterbury. You should come!

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I tend to agree with that. As David mentioned, there is something a bit odd about the mix. Maybe it needs a bit more air / not sure.

The mix needs to bring up the bass and drums a bit, I think.

5 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The mix needs to bring up the bass and drums a bit, I think.

Always seems to be a problem getting Kessler heard in the mix with the trio. Probably with the 2 horns often playing at one time it’s more of an issue. Plus KV is an upfront forceful player so I thinks that’s just part of the trio’s sound. 

I’m probably near a revisit of the box - I think I’ll pick 2 discs/shows randomly and leave it at that for a bit. Might not work for my current ears so well as I’ve been most interested in the oblique and non-groove side of improvised music over the past few months. Lots of guitar/electronics etc. I’ve been listening to a whole slew of great releases on Relative Pitch as well as streaming all kinds of stuff I don’t have on disc - from Fred Frith to Zeena Parkins to Henry Kaiser to musicians I’ve never heard before.

4 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Always seems to be a problem getting Kessler heard in the mix with the trio. Probably with the 2 horns often playing at one time it’s more of an issue. Plus KV is an upfront forceful player so I thinks that’s just part of the trio’s sound. 

I’m probably near a revisit of the box - I think I’ll pick 2 discs/shows randomly and leave it at that for a bit. Might not work for my current ears so well as I’ve been most interested in the oblique and non-groove side of improvised music over the past few months. Lots of guitar/electronics etc. I’ve been listening to a whole slew of great releases on Relative Pitch as well as streaming all kinds of stuff I don’t have on disc - from Fred Frith to Zeena Parkins to Henry Kaiser to musicians I’ve never heard before.

I hear you. KV has his moments, and on this set the slices of Joe McPhee, solo and with KV,  are a real joy, but sound-in-space it ain’t. I appreciate a set like this because instead of listening to one gig 6 or 10 times I can hear six gigs once or twice. 

Here’s my local scene, if you can believe it:

https://freerangecanterbury.weebly.com/#

Re. AMM, I’d say don’t count on getting the chance to hear this lineup again. 

50 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

You mean there's music performed outside London?! Oto must have been yesterday

33 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Here’s my local scene, if you can believe it:

https://freerangecanterbury.weebly.com/#

Re. AMM, I’d say don’t count on getting the chance to hear this lineup again. 

I'd be at many of them.

Yes, that line up could finish at any point given past relationships involved