Playing music in the car

Misterioso

A side remark re- Srdlu's house music examples: This is one style of contemporary music that doesn't bother me (reminds me of the often-heard background sound  patterns in one or the other record shop I still visit, for example) as it actually IS infectious and foot-tappingly danceable - I'll grant that - but honestly, to me the rhythm (that chuggity-chuggity-chuggity beat ;)) is way too monotonous for too long stretches in each song. Almost like a modern-day version of what used to be known  as "strict dancing tempo" (that you can calibrate your metronome to :lol:) 60+ years ago. ;) Nothing against a rock-solid beat (on the contrary) but can't (or won't) those who go for this music dig the 4/4 beat if it is a bit more nuanced and accentuated throughout and not quite so overwhelming (overbearing)? 

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A side remark re- Srdlu's house music examples: This is one style of contemporary music that doesn't bother me (reminds me of the often-heard background sound  patterns in one or the other record shop I still visit, for example) as it actually IS infectious and foot-tappingly danceable - I'll grant that - but honestly, to me the rhythm (that chuggity-chuggity-chuggity beat ;)) is way too monotonous for too long stretches in each song. Almost like a modern-day version of what used to be known  as "strict dancing tempo" (that you can calibrate your metronome to :lol:) 60+ years ago. ;) Nothing against a rock-solid beat (on the contrary) but can't (or won't) those who go for this music dig the 4/4 beat if it is a bit more nuanced and accentuated throughout and not quite so overwhelming (overbearing)? 

Well, that's where what used to be called "broke(n) beat" came/comes into play.

Somewhere not too long ago I posted a YouTube clip of a live set by some DJ (Afronaught, maybe?), and it was all this type thing. The dancing on the floor was incredible, and for me, somebody who has not one, not two, but three left feet, I could feel it most powerfully.

3 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

If I imagine that played by an actual drummer that's a bit more like it.

Exactly. And today's "jazz" drummers are finally starting to bring this sensibility into their playing, not just broken beat, but hip-hop approaches in general. But this broken beat thing, yeah, the first time I heard it, I was like OMG!!!!!! I GOTTA FIND A DRUMMER LIKE THIS AND GET BUSY GETTING BUSY, that shit was just putting all the accents exactly where I was feeling them with a pulse that was in no ways wrong. 

But I learned two things pretty much right away - 1) a lot of set drummers don't even want to consider this because they feel it's degrading to take inspiration from "machine"-generated ideas (a few people shut down the conversation before it even began with some variant of "if you're going to ask me to play like a drum machine then you can go fuck yourself", and you know, if that's the attitude, then they too can go fuck themselves afaic) and (a lot more deeper) 2) this shit breaks down to being a lot more complex that it appears to the casual ear, so not only is their a new coordination paradigm required just to get the basics going, but to do that and then improvise, to spontaneously react and interact, that takes a...newer (and as much as I hate to say it, a younger mindset)  mindset. Not just the beats, but the weight of the sounds, none of that translates literally to a drum set. so it's not just a matter of porting over one thing to another, there's a lot of serious learning and adjusting to do. And for real, even if you want your mind to do something, the older you get, the less easy it becomes to just turn on a dime.

But it's definitely do-able, and what's beginning to happen now will only continue to happen, and develop. Of course, it will involve musics that most "jazz fans" have no interest in even knowing about, much less listening to, but, you know, it's not being made for them, so they don't/won't matter in that world.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, porcy62 said:

What bothered me with music in the car is that unless you have one of those superluxury and supersilent german sedans, doublebass lines are lost forever in the noise of the car and the traffic. When I had a car I used to listen rock music bluetoothed from my phone.

Finally, an advantage to being hearing deficient. Hearing aids amp up all sounds, so I realized very quickly when I started wearing them nine years ago that I would habitually keep them out while driving and especially on the highway. There I can crank the stereo and hear (mostly) just the music.  I just finished up a two hour drive to Mom's house in Naples, heard every single bass solo. And I drive a Kia Rio.

2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Yeah, Jim. The best of house swings like crazy. The only music that swings is jazz, Cubana Musica and Bossa Nova, and good house.

Gheorghe,  here are some excellent tracks, to prove my point. (No-one else may listen: only Gheorghe, lol.)

That is way longer than the average house track (they usually run about 7 minutes, including the intro and outro), but it is superb all round and has an excellent (unidentified) alto saxophone solo - repeated unnecessarily.

Dig the McCoy Tyner fourth chords on the piano on that.

Jimpster (Jamie O'Dell, from Essex, England) did a fine job with this, a samba.

That should be enough for now, to prove the point.

You can have music that is simultaneously groovy for dancing, and of a high musical standard.

Jamie is into Miles, Weather Report, Bill Evans and Gil Evans. I'm trying to get him to do a new version of Weather Report's "River People". I can add the soprano saxophone part - we would not be sampling the W.R. album.

Capture.JPG

On 11/28/2019 at 6:23 AM, Gheorghe said:

I must say, I´m afraid the CD players in the car could do some damage to my CDs. I´m afraid the CD-Players in cars are not as good as the DENON-CD Player I have in my house. I noticed that two or three CDs I possibly played in the car got stuck in the last track (it´s Always the last track I don´t know why), so I had to re-buy them. 

Agreed, a combination of the car players and transporting CD's can cause damage to the disks.  I burn CD-R's of what I want, and play those in the car.  

With house music, there is a lot of repetition, but there are subtle changes all the way along (if it's a good mix) and one has to be patient. I first heard it live, in a club, and it certainly works well in that context, with dancing going on. When I first encountered it, I was immediately impressed by the good vibe there. It didn't hurt that the DJ there was the best in town, with good track selection and faultless mixing.

I am not suggesting that it's as creative as jazz. It isn't. Far from it. How could it be? But we have both available. I am cursed with a good memory, and it doesn't bore me.

The first track that got me is this Eric Prydz minimalist creation, "Armed". Wait for the strings to come in. (Eric is from Sweden.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsx3EA2KVA

Here's Afronaught spinning live for a little less than 30 minutes. If I could either sustain either a single creative arc or an act of dancing for that long, I'd be pretty damn happy.

and then there's Mark de Clive-Lowe, who was able to do what to him comes naturally - with a freaking traditional big band!

I drive an hour each way since I moved to the beach so I got Sirius/XM. I switch between 70's on 7, 80's on 8, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks, Real Jazz & Comedy Central Radio. Sometimes if the mood strikes, I may put on The Coffeehouse. At home, I sometimes use their app and play The Bridge and Yacht Rock Radio, especially in the summer on the back deck. Lately, I've installed their app on my Roku box and I'm using that for Christmas music when the mood strikes.

Since I'm driving 60+ miles each way, I bought a plug-in Prius (called a Prius Prime). I'm getting almost 65 mpg with it.

Image result for toyota prius prime

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Quite the contrary, it's the solution to the problem!

ONWARD!

Onward? Nah, not with this stuff.

And this isn't a case of a 50 something guy not wanting to give it a chance and just listening to the same old shit.

There are bands out there writing, playing and recording new music and then grinding it out (mainly in smaller venues) to live audiences.

Onward indeed, but I'll choose this over that, all day and all night.

1 hour ago, catesta said:

And this isn't a case of a 50 something guy not wanting to give it a chance and just listening to the same old shit.

There are bands out there writing, playing and recording new music and then grinding it out (mainly in smaller venues) to live audiences.

God, I really hate those metal bands with the lead that sounds like he's having problems in the bathroom. Constipation metal - that's it. :) 

18 minutes ago, catesta said:

It's just a style, some do both clean and guttural, while some, just one or the other. I didn't care for it at first but the riffs could not be denied and it grew on me. That said, there is still come forms of metal not for me, but I continue to explore.

I used to hear stuff like that Gideon tune above all the time in Newbury Comics and it never did anything for me. I do like some heavy metal stuff, even stuff with "scream-singing" but I hate those guttural screams like I hear here. They sound like someone in pain.

6 hours ago, catesta said:

Mileage and all that but this was the most painfully horrifying "music" I've heard since I sampled that new Brotzmann recording after reading the recent thread and checking it out at bandcamp. How anyone finds something stimulating in either of these "artists" is completely beyond my comprehension.

As for the House music I'm sorry I can't get past the "disco" beat. And since its meant for young people to dance to I'm left to really question whether any of them have any idea or remote concern for the "jazz" building blocks in there or that this DJ or someone else has some great jazz bona fides.

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And since its meant for young people to dance to I'm left to really question whether any of them have any idea or remote concern for the "jazz" building blocks in there or that this DJ or someone else has some great jazz bona fides.

People like IG Culture, Mark de Clive-Lowe, Afronaught, etc. are very much aware of what they're doing, and what they're doing it with. More "traditional" house mixers, eh, probably not so much, if at all. But you know me, "jazz" or lack thereof is not a deal breaker for me.

Also...music that's "meant for young people to dance to"...that accounts for a good chunk of jazz history as well as house music. There was dance long before there was jazz, and unless things go all the way dark, there will be dance long after jazz.

But while we're waiting...

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

People like IG Culture, Mark de Clive-Lowe, Afronaught, etc. are very much aware of what they're doing

The people you mention are personal heroes here.

On 27/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, Shrdlu said:

Excellent for jazz and quality house music (of which there is plenty)

Yes, completely agree with this.