Playing music in the car

Misterioso

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

People like IG Culture, Mark de Clive-Lowe, Afronaught, etc. are very much aware of what they're doing, and what they're doing it with. More "traditional" house mixers, eh, probably not so much, if at all. But you know me, "jazz" or lack thereof is not a deal breaker for me.

Also...music that's "meant for young people to dance to"...that accounts for a good chunk of jazz history as well as house music. There was dance long before there was jazz, and unless things go all the way dark, there will be dance long after jazz.

But while we're waiting...

The people creating it ... yes obviously they know what they are using/influenced by. My reference was to whether those young dancing fools know or give a shit .... the answer to which is "no" and "not at all." 

And the significance of one dance music for one generation and another for a later one is ...?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That people always dance. Be afraid of a people who don't dance. Not individuals, but peoples. Something wrong there.

In my experience, very few general dancers know or care what they're dancing to. But I have come to learn and respect that really serious dancers do. They have a direct physical relationship with the music that only some musicians do, and I firmly believe that it behooves any musician to play any kind of dance music in the presence of serious dancers. It's a lesson that can't really be learned any other way.

14 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Mileage and all that but this was the most painfully horrifying "music" I've heard since I sampled that new Brotzmann recording after reading the recent thread and checking it out at bandcamp. How anyone finds something stimulating in either of these "artists" is completely beyond my comprehension.

I totally understand, especially since I put up a couple of very heavy examples. I have a diverse interest/appreciation for music but certainly not all of it. Free jazz is lost on me as is the house/edm stuff and all modern day pop.

It is an evolution for me though, coming up with Black Sabbath on to Iron Maiden on to Slayer on to All that Remains, etc. The shit resonates with me and keeps me balanced. Plus, it's not exactly mainstream stuff getting big $$ and I like to support small business.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

That people always dance. Be afraid of a people who don't dance. Not individuals, but peoples. Something wrong there.

In my experience, very few general dancers know or care what they're dancing to. But I have come to learn and respect that really serious dancers do. They have a direct physical relationship with the music that only some musicians do, and I firmly believe that it behooves any musician to play any kind of dance music in the presence of serious dancers. It's a lesson that can't really be learned any other way.

Image result for footloose city council speech :g

I take the bus to work - a pass is a perk of being a county employee - but I don't listen to music there, mostly erase messages from my phone, sometimes read dead trees..  AM radio in the Studebaker.  In the wife's Nissan it's local FM jazz station or satellite Beatles or something more contemporary for the teenagent.  On grocery trips by myself or longer road trips in the Nissan, CDs in the car include Ray Price's tribute to Bob Wills, a CDR of Lefty F. a CDR of all the raw takes of Miles' "Go Ahead John" followed by the final mix (that's a full CD), BB King's Louis Jordan Tribute, a Vee Jay Records sampler, Al Green, Eric Clapton, the Supremes (wife and daughter love that), Mighty Joe Young Blues With a Touch of Soul, and some more I can't remember right now.  I used to enjoy Paul Harvey out in the great wide open. 

• 1 month later...

I play jazz CDs in both my car and my wife's car when we drive together. I select the CDs slightly differently when my wife and I are together in the car. Most of my driving is for fairly short distances around town.

The big exception is each summer when we take somewhat lengthy road trips for vacation.Then I pack up about 50 CDs, so we have a lot of good music throughout the entire trip.  

My preference for listening both at home and in the car is for a broad variety of jazz. So I select CDs from  every decade of jazz, and include big bands, small groups, piano trios, jazz vocalists, blues singers, etc.

Though I am a fan of classical music, I only play classical CDs at home, not in the car. The main reason is that most classical music compositions don't work well for a short 10 or 15 minute drive. Stopping a Symphony or Concerto or String Quartet piece before it is finished because I have reached my destination is a downer for me.

God I miss playing music in my car. I have lived in Purmerend for 2 years. Not really a  beauty of a place but it was a 40 minute drive from my workplace in Heemskerk. I always took a stack of 5 cd’s a week in my car. A wonderful opportunity to explore and listen to music in a very busy week. 

I am happy to live in Heemskerk again (my birthplace) but I really miss the drives with the music.... Now, on working days, I haven’t got any time to listen to some tunes :(

Big disappointment: Most new cars do not even come with a CD player. Instead you are expected to stream music from your phone or what ever. For us old timers this is a good reason to hold on to our older cars that have a CD player. In fact my 2010 car has a 6-disc changer which is wonderful. I guess if I am forced to buy a new car I will have go to a stereo store and have a CD changer installed. Unlike missing CD players in new cars I do not miss cigarette lighters and ash trays.

2 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

Big disappointment: Most new cars do not even come with a CD player. Instead you are expected to stream music from your phone or what ever. For us old timers this is a good reason to hold on to our older cars that have a CD player. In fact my 2010 car has a 6-disc changer which is wonderful. I guess if I am forced to buy a new car I will have go to a stereo store and have a CD changer installed. Unlike missing CD players in new cars I do not miss cigarette lighters and ash trays.

I totally hear you.  Since my wife and I moved to central Washington DC back in 2011, we haven't owned a car -- and only occasionally do Zip Car (which is a rent-by-the-hour sort of deal).  So we only drive about 4-5 times a year, often for just 2-3 or maybe a 4-day weekend away.  And 90% of the Zip Cars don't have CD players any more (sad-emoji).

One of my favorite things was to pick out 32 or 36 CD's for a given trip (that's how many discs the CD cases I had held), and then my wife would pick out whatever she liked from that selection.  I always included things I knew she liked, and things I thought she would like (but hadn't heard yet).

Rock/alternative, jazz, and classical.  But one think I discovered a long time ago, was that *cello* concerti were to be avoided at all cost (for car listening), because the volume of the most exposed solo cello parts would often be less than the overall recording (when the orchestra was playing more full), yet with the road noise in the car, that usually was at a frequency range that really made the cello a lot larder to hear.  Likewise, cello sonatas too -- just anything with a lot going on down there (as the most prominent thing).

When we go visit my Dad, he still has a CD-player in his car (a 2005 Olds), and we drive it to Kansas City (from St. Louis) every Christmas, and also about 3 hours north of St. Louis every Thanksgiving -- so I still get to pack a selection of CD's for those trips.

And every once in a blue moon a Zip Car here in DC will have a CD player -- though 90% of the time, lately, I haven't realized that until we're just getting in the car to go on our trip, so I didn't think to pack CD's.  Any more, we have to rely on Pandora in the car, for our Zip Car trips, which is OK and kinda fun, especially since Pandora has "deep cuts" and "discovery modes" now, which change up the listening a whole lot better than just standard Pandora used to.

I was shocked a year ago when we flew to Chicago to visit our son and grandchildren. I had packed a number of CDs to play in the Chicago rental car, and was really surprised and disappointed to see no CD player in the car.

If I buy another car, it will most likely not come with a CD player. So as Stonewall 15 said, I will need to have one installed.

Many people prefer to listen to the radio in the car. But even when there are jazz radio stations I could listen to, I want to decide what I want to hear, not what someone else decides to play.

33 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I was shocked a year ago when we flew to Chicago to visit our son and grandchildren. I had packed a number of CDs to play in the Chicago rental car, and was really surprised and disappointed to see no CD player in the car.

If I buy another car, it will most likely not come with a CD player. So as Stonewall 15 said, I will need to have one installed.

Many people prefer to listen to the radio in the car. But even when there are jazz radio stations I could listen to, I want to decide what I want to hear, not what someone else decides to play.

I thought I 'd posted about this, but can't find it: even though I'm inept at this kind of thing I was easily able to jerry rig a potable cd player with a cheap device that plays the music through an unused frequency on your fm dial. 

I bought a new car six months ago, and was also disappointed that it did not come with a CD player. However, it does have a USB port in which one can plug a phone, CD player or other device. After asking around I found that I could burn CD's onto a thumb (flash) drive with Windows Media Player on my computer, converting the files to MP3's. Flash drives come in all capacities, and are very cheap. I bought a 128-gig one for about 20 dollars, and it holds about 800 CD's. I can play the CD's as they are programmed, or I can plsy in shuffle mode (chosen at the push of a button). The screen displays artist, title, and source. For the past 6 months I have been ripping my entire CD collection onto thumb drives (I am on number 4 right now), and the music experience while driving is fantastic!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving a rental the last few days, and am having a blast just scanning the AM/FM dials to get tastes of all the variants of Tejano/Desi/SE Asian/Gospel/Country programming styles that there are. Unlike Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop, it's a pretty diverse musical menu at your disposal.

A week is about all of this I'll enjoy, but it's been a fun week while it lasted.

I drive thirty to forty minutes to work in the morning and a similar time back home at night. I do a lot of other driving, including one to four hour trips for work.

I play a lot of CDs and also stream on Spotify Premium (no ads) a lot of jazz, also classical and other genres. It is a great time to be alive, with such variety easily available in the car.