Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larry Kart

The Lost Quintet -- Rotterdam Nov. 9, 1969

14 posts in this topic

Unbelievable!

Or to quote Tom Poston's line from the movie "Cold Turkey," "Well, I believe it a little bit."

71Kl-dcGiuL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Everybody plays great here.

Some discussion in this thread:

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Unbelievable!

Or to quote Tom Poston's line from the movie "Cold Turkey," "Well, I believe it a little bit."

71Kl-dcGiuL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Everybody plays great here.

I'll semi-hijack this thread then.  Larry, I've been reading your book here and there, and found your analysis of the Miles/Tony Williams dynamic (also on the Filles De Kilimanjaro reissue liner notes to be absolutely fascinating!  Had never thought of it that way, but you are right, and the part about the Lost Quintet was also illuminating.

I'm still holding my breath to see if Movie Mars actually has this. Ordered 11 / 22 still not shipped. They say it's "processing" but won't confirm that they actually will fulfill the order.

2 hours ago, felser said:

I'll semi-hijack this thread then.  Larry, I've been reading your book here and there, and found your analysis of the Miles/Tony Williams dynamic (also on the Filles De Kilimanjaro reissue liner notes to be absolutely fascinating!  Had never thought of it that way, but you are right, and the part about the Lost Quintet was also illuminating.

Thanks. Either I was inspired or half out of my head when I wrote those notes, or both.
BTW, someone who knew the Miles/Tony dynamic from fairly close up (might have been Bob Belden, who asked me to do the notes) thought that in them I was alluding to the fact that for a while Miles and Tony had had a rather contentious romantic relationship, which left Tony pretty messed up emotionally (in the aftermath he would seek psychiatric help). I had no idea of any of that.

24 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Thanks. Either I was inspired or half out of my head when I wrote those notes, or both.
BTW, someone who knew the Miles/Tony dynamic from fairly close up (might have been Bob Belden, who asked me to do the notes) thought that in them I was alluding to the fact that for a while Miles and Tony had had a rather contentious romantic relationship, which left Tony pretty messed up emotionally (in the aftermath he would seek psychiatric help). I had no idea of any of that.

All that is new to me!

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

🤔 ....

I already have the Columbia "Bootleg Series" with the three CDs of the 1969 quintet plus a DVD. 

Is there different playing on this ? 

The Album cover looks interesting, it Looks very similar to the original Bitches Brew painting, but is another way of painting…..

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I already have the Columbia "Bootleg Series" with the three CDs of the 1969 quintet plus a DVD. 

Is there different playing on this ? 

The Album cover looks interesting, it Looks very similar to the original Bitches Brew painting, but is another way of painting…..

It’s a different concert than the ones in the bootleg series and imho a notch above them (though they are all great).

Isn’t the item on amazon and Spotify just an unauthorized bootleg?  (With wildly incorrect track names....)

Why not just download the widely-available recording?

BTW I don’t think Felser meant to imply that Tony Williams plays on this recording but... the drummer is Jack DeJohnette

Read the liner notes to Ego...

On 11/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, jlhoots said:

I'm still holding my breath to see if Movie Mars actually has this. Ordered 11 / 22 still not shipped. They say it's "processing" but won't confirm that they actually will fulfill the order.

After a week Movie Mars canceled my order. Buyer beware. I should have listened to Jim to begin with.

Those Movie Mars cartel shops will do good on current-ish mainstream product and non-specialty catalog items. But for low-quantity specialty items such as this, my experience has led me to not even try there any more.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Read the liner notes to Ego...

Don't have that album. What is said there?

Got my "The Last Quintet" from Zoverstocks. Took a while but it got here.

R-1169992-1276357874.jpeg.jpg

This may or may not have at least something to do with Miles. But those first few sentences sure carry weight knowing what we now maybe know (and definitely what has been passed around for decades).