The Lost Quintet -- Rotterdam Nov. 9, 1969

Larry Kart

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Unbelievable!

Or to quote Tom Poston's line from the movie "Cold Turkey," "Well, I believe it a little bit."

71Kl-dcGiuL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Everybody plays great here.

I'll semi-hijack this thread then.  Larry, I've been reading your book here and there, and found your analysis of the Miles/Tony Williams dynamic (also on the Filles De Kilimanjaro reissue liner notes to be absolutely fascinating!  Had never thought of it that way, but you are right, and the part about the Lost Quintet was also illuminating.

2 hours ago, felser said:

I'll semi-hijack this thread then.  Larry, I've been reading your book here and there, and found your analysis of the Miles/Tony Williams dynamic (also on the Filles De Kilimanjaro reissue liner notes to be absolutely fascinating!  Had never thought of it that way, but you are right, and the part about the Lost Quintet was also illuminating.

Thanks. Either I was inspired or half out of my head when I wrote those notes, or both.
BTW, someone who knew the Miles/Tony dynamic from fairly close up (might have been Bob Belden, who asked me to do the notes) thought that in them I was alluding to the fact that for a while Miles and Tony had had a rather contentious romantic relationship, which left Tony pretty messed up emotionally (in the aftermath he would seek psychiatric help). I had no idea of any of that.

24 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Thanks. Either I was inspired or half out of my head when I wrote those notes, or both.
BTW, someone who knew the Miles/Tony dynamic from fairly close up (might have been Bob Belden, who asked me to do the notes) thought that in them I was alluding to the fact that for a while Miles and Tony had had a rather contentious romantic relationship, which left Tony pretty messed up emotionally (in the aftermath he would seek psychiatric help). I had no idea of any of that.

All that is new to me!

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

🤔 ....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I already have the Columbia "Bootleg Series" with the three CDs of the 1969 quintet plus a DVD. 

Is there different playing on this ? 

The Album cover looks interesting, it Looks very similar to the original Bitches Brew painting, but is another way of painting…..

It’s a different concert than the ones in the bootleg series and imho a notch above them (though they are all great).

Isn’t the item on amazon and Spotify just an unauthorized bootleg?  (With wildly incorrect track names....)

Why not just download the widely-available recording?

BTW I don’t think Felser meant to imply that Tony Williams plays on this recording but... the drummer is Jack DeJohnette

On 11/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, jlhoots said:

I'm still holding my breath to see if Movie Mars actually has this. Ordered 11 / 22 still not shipped. They say it's "processing" but won't confirm that they actually will fulfill the order.

After a week Movie Mars canceled my order. Buyer beware. I should have listened to Jim to begin with.

• 7 months later...

Listening to this spectacular gig again today - I’ve heard every single live recording of this band and IMHO this one is the best.

One particularly favorite part is Wayne’s incendiary tenor solo on “Directions”.

On the version I downloaded, shortly after the last notes of “Masqualero” are played, a BBC announcer exclaims “WOW.”

Edited by Guy Berger

This one is coming at the end of July.  Not sure if this has been out before - the details are on the Sleepy Night website.

Edit - well, I can’t upload the image from my phone, but it is the Lost Septet.  Album cover is a painting of the back cover of BB.

Edited by Eric

2 hours ago, Eric said:

This one is coming at the end of July.  Not sure if this has been out before - the details are on the Sleepy Night website.

Edit - well, I can’t upload the image from my phone, but it is the Lost Septet.  Album cover is a painting of the back cover of BB.

“Lost Septet” isn’t a thing, but marketers gonna market.

Is Sleepy Night a legit label?

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Hell no.

OK, if Sleepy Night is an illegitimate label, let me emphatically urge everyone:

1) Download this music for free.

2) Instead of spending money on a sketchy bootleg, spend it on a legitimate recording by a label that supports artists.

Sleepy Night appears to be legit to the extent that they claim to be getting these tapes from the owners of the original radio broadcast tapes.

I don't know how deep into legit that gets you (ankle deep would probably be the best to be hoped for...), but the previous one was certainly an improvement on existing bootlegs.

• 4 months later...

Anyone who has a copy of the Lost Quintet could they please check to see if it's a CD or CDr - was about to purchase a copy today (via Amazon Australia) & one of the UK reviews gave it a one star rating, warning their copy was actually a CDr. I've sent a query to Sleepynight but havn't yet received a reply.

6 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

I bought mine direct from them at a record fair last year (which seems like a lifetime ago at this stage) and it was a factory pressed cd. 

Cheers

Also Sleepynight have replied confirming this - the ones they sell (from their site) are CDs. Does that mean someone else is flogging them off as CDrs?

Edited by romualdo

Update on my order from Amazon (Australia) - received it this morning & what a bummer, unfortunately it's a CDr. Just returned it.

I'll end up getting it directly from Sleepy Night though I'll be paying quite a bit more now due to the added shipping (was able to get free shipping with Amazon Prime)

Miles Davis Lost Quintet CDr A.jpg