Cannonball's Rhythm Sections

Late

The rhythm sections that played for Miles get mentioned all the time. Coltrane's rhythm section(s) get mentioned. Tonight I was listening to, and really enjoying, Roy McCurdy's playing. Cannonball's rhythm sections were tight — not to mention the looming presence of Joe Zawinul.

What configurations of Cannonball's rhythm sections do you find yourself noticing? Would you agree that Cannonball's rhythm sections go under-remarked?

zawinul.jpg

My favorites were Feldman, Jones and Hayes, as on Adderley at the Lighthouse.

Never got to see them, though - well, separately, but not together w Cannonball. By the time I got to see Cannon it was Zawinul, Jones, Hayes (w Chas Lloyd).

Agreed he had wonderful rhythm sections. I also like Barry Harris, Jones, Hayes.

Edited by BillF

Cannonball always had bands, not just groups. The exception, ironically enough, was the Mercury years, where he had a real working band, but the records didn't really sound like it.

The Zawinul-Duke/Gaskin-Booker/McCurdy bands are my favorite overall, just because of the odyssey they ended up taking. By the time I got to see Cannonball live, it was Hal Galper on piano, which was fine, but the group's arc had kind of completed by then. Although, Pyramid, with that band, was an interesting (enough) album. But Galper moved on, and Cannonball's records turned more to "project" mode.

On 11/28/2019 at 0:59 AM, BillF said:

My favorites were Feldman, Jones and Hayes, as on Adderley at the Lighthouse.

Never got to see them, though - well, separately, but not together w Cannonball. By the time I got to see Cannon it was Zawinul, Jones, Hayes (w Chas Lloyd).

Agreed he had wonderful rhythm sections. I also like Barry Harris, Jones, Hayes.

These were the three I found most enjoyable. Though my top choice would be Zawinul, Jones, Hayes.

The rhythm section with Timmons was also a good one.

Never cared for all the ones that came later with Duke, Wolff ...

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Zawinul-Duke/Gaskin-Booker/McCurdy bands are my favorite overall, just because of the odyssey they ended up taking.

Yes

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco aka Bobby Timmons + Sam Jones + Louis Hayes ..... oozes S-O-U-L ....

It may have to do with Cannonball’s playing gaining depth as the 60s went on, but imho this isn’t one of their best albums.  If I ranked Cannonball pianists/keyboardists Timmons would be in the bottom half of the list.

They were all good, but if I had to pick, I would go for Joe Zawinul. When he and Yusef Lateef joined, there was excitement that was previously missing. I find some of the group's earlier material very polished (of course) but a little bland.

Timmons was very good, but I don't like his block chord sound. Red Garland and Gene Harris had better voicings. Some of the best Timmons is his earliest, with Kenny Dorham at the Bohemia.

I hasten to add that I'm very fond of Vic Feldman. Wonderful player.

And I am very fond of Barry Harris, too. (And don't play that Philly Joe lick again.)

Seeing Roy McCurdy, i go in the jazz club and they are like would you like a seat at the bar sir and i go no i would not like a seat at the bar sir i would like table next to drum set and i was plopped right under roy mcurdys drum set, and all i was thinking is god i really can actually HEAR what that band must of SOUNDED like- roy mcurdy was that powerful and unique sounding i really could hear what those guys must of sounded like- this was this year

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Saw the section with Duke and McCurdy and I think also Walter Booker - but not sure - at a Cannonball/Nat  tribute about 20 years ago. Vincent Herring was on alto, not sure about the trumpet but likely Roy Hargrove. Nat Adderley was on stage and enjoying it all, sadly by then he was wheelchair bound.

The only other time I have seen Walter Booker he was with Bertha Hope.

The 1980 edition of Nat Adderley`s tourband consisting of

Nat Adderley cornet, voc
Charles McPherson as
Jerome Richardson ts, fl
Hal Galper piano
Walter Booker bass
Roy McCurdy drums

Even without Cannonball this band played wonderful music, ant the Rhythm Section was crisp .... unfortunately this band was never (officially) recorded ....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

What did you say? Charles McPherson replaced him the the band, oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please recording examples mucho pronto absoutelutamente.  So youre saying you saw this group in, i take it Europe, 1980?  very impressive my guy, very impressive

so mcpherson AND jerome richardson..........kinda like qhwn fleetwood mac went out in 1987 w/ Rick Vito AND billy burnette to replace lindsey

38 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

What did you say? Charles McPherson replaced him the the band, oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please recording examples mucho pronto absoutelutamente.  So youre saying you saw this group in, i take it Europe, 1980?  very impressive my guy, very impressive

so mcpherson AND jerome richardson..........kinda like qhwn fleetwood mac went out in 1987 w/ Rick Vito AND billy burnette to replace lindsey

As said unfortunately no official recording .... the superb concert at Jazz Festival Velden/Austria in 1980 was broadcasted though ....