Jazz Magazine (1976-80?)

A few years ago my predecessor passed on several issues of this late 1970s magazine, edited by Peter Keepnews and counting a fair number of notable writers (Dan Morgenstern, for starters) among its contributors. I pulled out the winter 1979 issue a few days ago for an article about Manfred Eicher and ECM... seems to have been a high-quality journal. Any posters here ever read it back in the day?

detail_3142970_v4n1.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I subscribed from the beginning. The only issue I don't still have is the last one. It was a really good magazine, imo. With your historical bent, you would be rewarded by finding and then reading the entire run, cover-to-cover.

You’ve read my mind, sir. I think I have four issues in all that I inherited from Joe, so will be on a search to pick up more. 

He was an editor in the features department. I said he was a colleague, but actually our paths didn't cross that much, though I knew who he was. I was a writer -- a so-called entertainment critic -- and I think his job was deciding or helping to decide what stories the features section would feature down the road, so to speak. The Trib had a top notch features section for a good while.

Mark, do you know what Tom has been up to in recent years?

14 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

He was an editor in the features department. I said he was a colleague, but actually our paths didn't cross that much, though I knew who he was. I was a writer -- a so-called entertainment critic -- and I think his job was deciding or helping to decide what stories the features section would feature down the road, so to speak. The Trib had a top notch features section for a good while.

Mark, do you know what Tom has been up to in recent years?

To be clear, I've never met Tom. Your reference above was the first time I heard his name. Presumably this is what he's been up to recently: https://banyanproject.coop/biography/tom-stites/

I shared a photo of the magazine’s masthead on Tom Piazza’s Facebook page (he was an associate editor) prompting some replies from others, including one from Tom Stites himself:

“Remember that you read it here first, before the official announcement in December:  Jazz Magazine, in its entirety, will soon be available digitally for perusal in libraries all over the world.  Stay tuned!”

• 2 weeks later...

I think after that I got a letter from them telling something like they want to continue but have to make some decisions and have to develope some stragegies for doing that and bla bla bla, anyway it didn´t help. I waited some month to see if I can subscribe it, and nothing happened. Eventually I subscribed for Down Beat, which I enjoyed very much.