Record Stores in Philadelphia?

Bol

I don't actually get down to the city anymore, and do all of my CD buying/selling online these days.

Penn forced out all the interesting little local places about 20 years ago and replaced them with chains like Barnes and Noble.  I am a Penn grad, so followed this closely.

I have never been to the physical store of Beautiful World Syndicate, but buy a dozen CD's a month from them on discogs:

Beautiful World Syndicate
Music store in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Address: 1619 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19148

Repo records at 506 South Street has been really interesting the years and maintains a nice inventory on discogs.

Philadelphia Record Exchage at 1524 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125  has long had great obscure inventory and excellent prices, but is in Northeast Philly, a long and difficult trip from Penn's campus in West Philly.

If you have a car, you can take a field trip out to Princeton Record Exchange.  On Princeton University's campus.   Beautiful area.  Brad and others can tell you more about it.

The historic record store shrines in Philly, 3rd Street Jazz, Tower Records on South Street, are long gone, as are the interesting secondary and used stores like Radio 437 and Plastic Fantastic Records.  Sorry I can't offer more, hope others can.

Edited by felser

I agree that Repo is worth a visit, though I haven't been to the new location.

Long in the Tooth is near where I work and stay.  2027 Sansom Street.  I have enjoyed this place and the people who work there.

Hideaway, 8612 Germantown Ave. is not so close.  If you have a car...

Wild Mutation, 2223 Frankford may be gone.  It's website is gone.  If it's still around, I'd pay a visit.  It's small and not really jazz-focused.  So depending on your taste for punk...   Actually, there are a bunch of punk places.

Sorry, not really helpful.  I'm limited to where I can walk.

• 1 year later...