FS: Tolliver Big Band Select Disc 2 (Impact)

Justin V

I have Disc 2 from the Charles Tolliver Big Band Mosaic Select (Impact).  Besides Tolliver, soloists include Stanley Cowell, James Spaulding, George Coleman, Charles McPherson and Harold Vick.

It includes the full booklet from the Select in addition to the individual disc's cover and back insert.

$15 PayPal, including US shipping.

I'll just say that I think it's a crime that these early 70's Tolliver big band recordings are out of print, and fairly expensive to find on-line secondhand.

I have the whole Select set myself, of course (both Tolliver Selects, in fact) -- but I almost can't imagine a release that ought to be more widely known that the two Strata East albums with big band especially.  

I don't know how well they sold at the time, but they swing like mad, and yet are as fiery in terms of playing as it gets.  Tuneful, approachable -- hell, my wife even likes this stuff and always catches on when any of the same tunes come up in smaller combo contexts (non-big-band) on other Tolliver and Stanley Cowell recordings, and she's not always one to remember jazz tunes.

Some of the best music recorded that entire decade.

17 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Talking of Tolliver - Pure Pleasure have just reissued his ‘Live at the Loosdrecht  Jazz Festival’ on vinyl. Need to get hold of that - and still kicking myself for selling the old Black Lion 2LP for next to nothing. ;)

Reggie Workman's extended bass intro to "Prayer for Peace" alone is worth the price of admission.

35 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I'll just say that I think it's a crime that these early 70's Tolliver big band recordings are out of print, and fairly expensive to find on-line secondhand.

I have the whole Select set myself, of course (both Tolliver Selects, in fact) -- but I almost can't imagine a release that ought to be more widely known that the two Strata East albums with big band especially.  

I don't know how well they sold at the time, but they swing like mad, and yet are as fiery in terms of playing as it gets.  Tuneful, approachable -- hell, my wife even likes this stuff and always catches on when any of the same tunes come up in smaller combo contexts (non-big-band) on other Tolliver and Stanley Cowell recordings, and she's not always one to remember jazz tunes.

Some of the best music recorded that entire decade.

Yeah!  Absolutely.

Coincidentally, I was listening to McCoy Tyner's Song for My Lady yesterday, and the two cuts with Tolliver really stand out.  Had me thinking, "I wish McCoy would've made more music with Tolliver."

56 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Coincidentally, I was listening to McCoy Tyner's Song for My Lady yesterday, and the two cuts with Tolliver really stand out.  Had me thinking, "I wish McCoy would've made more music with Tolliver."

OK, ok, ok.  Somehow, despite owning nearly 90% (95%?) of the rest of Tolliver's entire output -- including as a sideman -- somehow(??!!!) I've never heard Song for my Lady.  Gotta get around to that one, clearly then.  The universe is reminding me of that here, now, and I oughta listen.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

36 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

OK, ok, ok.  Somehow, despite owning nearly 90% (95%?) of the rest of Tolliver's entire output -- including as a sideman -- somehow(??!!!) I've never heard Song for my Lady.  Gotta get around to that one, clearly then.  The universe is reminding me of that here, now, and I oughta listen.

You'll love it.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCOY-TYNER-SONG-FOR-MY-LADY-NEW-CD/292176077429?epid=112445391&hash=item44070d2275:m:mFQ-kH5KumRGHpaZKuXhoRA

I am only selling this because i finally found the entire Select.  I bought Disc 2 from Mosaic when the set had gone OOP.  One reason why I picked that single disc was because of the bassists.  Cecil McBee, Reggie Workman and Clint Houston are on bass, with a track each of McBee/Houston and McBee/Workman both playing.

Here is the entire personnel info for the disc:

Charles Tolliver, trumpet, fluegelhorn; Jon Faddis, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Virgil Jones, Larry Greenwich, trumpets; Garnett Brown, John Gordon, Kiane Zawadi, trombones; Jack Jeffers, bass trombone; Charles McPherson, alto sax; James Spaulding, alto sax, soprano sax; flute; piccolo;, George Coleman, tenor sax; Harold Vick, tenor sax, soprano sax, flute; Charles Davis, baritone sax; Stanley Cowell, piano; Cecil McBee, bass on #1 (arco), 5, 6 (pizzicato); Reggie Workman, bass on #2, 6 (arco); Clint Houston, bass on #1 (pizzicato), 3 & 4; Clifford Barbaro, drums; Warren Smith, percussion and chimes on #1 & 6; Billy Parker, percussion on #1; Big Black, congas on #1; Strings on #2 & 6: Gayle Dixon, Noel Da Costa, first violins; Winston Collymore, Noel Pointer, second violins; Ashley Richardson, Julius Miller, violas; Akua Dixon, Edith Wint Porter, cellos..
Recorded at Sound Ideas, New York City on January 17, 1975
Produced by Charles Tolliver.

9 hours ago, Justin V said:

I am only selling this because i finally found the entire Select.  I bought Disc 2 from Mosaic when the set had gone OOP.  One reason why I picked that single disc was because of the bassists.  Cecil McBee, Reggie Workman and Clint Houston are on bass, with a track each of McBee/Houston and McBee/Workman both playing.

Here is the entire personnel info for the disc:

Charles Tolliver, trumpet, fluegelhorn; Jon Faddis, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Virgil Jones, Larry Greenwich, trumpets; Garnett Brown, John Gordon, Kiane Zawadi, trombones; Jack Jeffers, bass trombone; Charles McPherson, alto sax; James Spaulding, alto sax, soprano sax; flute; piccolo;, George Coleman, tenor sax; Harold Vick, tenor sax, soprano sax, flute; Charles Davis, baritone sax; Stanley Cowell, piano; Cecil McBee, bass on #1 (arco), 5, 6 (pizzicato); Reggie Workman, bass on #2, 6 (arco); Clint Houston, bass on #1 (pizzicato), 3 & 4; Clifford Barbaro, drums; Warren Smith, percussion and chimes on #1 & 6; Billy Parker, percussion on #1; Big Black, congas on #1; Strings on #2 & 6: Gayle Dixon, Noel Da Costa, first violins; Winston Collymore, Noel Pointer, second violins; Ashley Richardson, Julius Miller, violas; Akua Dixon, Edith Wint Porter, cellos..
Recorded at Sound Ideas, New York City on January 17, 1975
Produced by Charles Tolliver.

Disc 2 is the Strata-East "Impact" album.  Great stuff, of course.

Image result for tolliver strata-east"

22 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Talking of Tolliver - Pure Pleasure have just reissued his ‘Live at the Loosdrecht  Jazz Festival’ on vinyl. Need to get hold of that - and still kicking myself for selling the old Black Lion 2LP for next to nothing. ;)

Is on my Christmas wish list. Hope Santa will be generous. It’s also my birthday so if that ain’t a good reason to give me some Tolliver....

• 5 weeks later...