hat [now] ART

Late

Yes for Schönberg and Feldman albums.

Also, Tenney and Lou Harrison stuff is good.

Soviet Avantgarde piano works (both volumes) are strong, if a bit frenetic in Schleiemacher's hands.

Both Polwechsel releases are classic, were hugely innovative at the time of their release.

And Wolff's "Early Piano Pieces" (with much more restrained Schleiemacher here)!    

All the hat[now]ART releases (as well as other Hat Hut stuff) are available at Spotify.  

Edited by Д.Д.

I own and enjoy that one, though it's not "essential" IMO. Ditto for the Stefan Wolpe piano disc (fan of the composer).

Not high on Schleiermacher who's a frequent pianist on the label, but I agree w. the Soviet avant-garde piano suggestion above.

I think the Galina Ustvolskaya piano sonatas are awesome, but have not heard the hat [now] Art recording. If the price is right...

Pi-Hsien Chen (her Schoenberg recommended above) is excellent IMO; her Boulez disc is probably good if you like that sort of thing (I enjoy her Boulez/Barraque on another label), and there are a few others by her I haven't heard.

Edited by T.D.

• 1 month later...

Forgot this one: 

71hmgmKzvjL._SS500_.jpg

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/0SQOb1mBMDGNTQNzVVNEwL 

It's an orchestral piece that can be performed on its own or with improvisers. Here it's presented in three versions - with improvisers Axel Dörner & Paul Lovens, without improvisers, and with improvisers John Butcher & Thomas Lehn. All three versions are a great listen (the orchestra piece is a Scelsi-like thing with long long tones and slow development). I've been enjoying this one a lot, especially the demented Butcher / Lehn version. I wish there were more works for orchestras with improvisers. After all, that was the idea back in the 18th century, right?    

Edited by Д.Д.