Question re Johnny Griffin BN "The Congregation"

mjzee

Does anyone know why "The Congregation," when originally released, was so short time-wise?  It totaled less than 30 minutes, which was unusual for BN.  There was plenty of room for "I Remember You," the remaining track from the session that was included in the CD reissue.  So why was it left off the LP?

I love the Album and reading a book by Cook About the Blue Note label he also mentioned the shortness of the Album. It´s stated that after the two forerunning Albums (Chicago Calling and Blowin Session) this is outright short. Anyway, Griffin´s contract with BN was only short, just 3 Albums in 2 years and that it was. 

I appreciate what you say, Felser, but I have heard plenty of Johnny Griffin, and I have a good knowledge of the era. I just felt that it sounds like a blowing session for three tenor saxophonists and I didn't think it would be anything out of the ordinary. I've never heard anyone say anything about it until this thread came up.

Mind you, I do like Gene Ammons with Sonny Stitt, especially the Verve "Boss Tenors" album. But two is enough.

6 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

I appreciate what you say, Felser, but I have heard plenty of Johnny Griffin, and I have a good knowledge of the era. I just felt that it sounds like a blowing session for three tenor saxophonists and I didn't think it would be anything out of the ordinary. I've never heard anyone say anything about it until this thread came up.

Mind you, I do like Gene Ammons with Sonny Stitt, especially the Verve "Boss Tenors" album. But two is enough.

Are you talking about "The Congregation" .  . . that's a quartet session with Sonny Clark.

R-9160589-1504758632-4944.jpeg.jpg

In my opinion, this is Griffin's most interesting project for Blue Note. He isn't all about 16th notes here, and the relaxed mood lets you (the listener) soak in his deep tone. Sonny Clark is great as always, and I think it may be the only Blue Note appearance for Kenny Dennis on drums. I love Griffin's take on "I'm Glad There Is You." My compact disc copy (TOCJ 1580) says 29:59 on the player.

A Love Supreme is only 33:04! Some records just need to be short, I guess.