Blue Note Tone Poet Series to continue in 2020...

Aftab

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I think the're going to drop a tune for The Kicker, to preserve sound quality.

The Connoiseur CD track list:

01. If Ever I Would Leave You (Lerner-Loewe) - 10:34
02. Mirrors (Chambers) - 6:53
03. For Duke P. (Hutcherson) - 7:54
04. The Kicker (Henderson) - 6:07
05. Step Lightly (Henderson) - 14:19
06. Bedouin (Pearson) - 8:11

Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Bobby Hutcherson - vibes
Grant Green - guitar (#4-6)
Duke Pearson - piano
Bob Cranshaw - bass
Al Harewood - drums

Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ on December 29, 1963.

2 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I think it was Hoffman Forums, could've been a rumor/assumption...but they've been pretty well hooked up regarding this series.  If you leave off "If Ever I Would Leave You" then the two LP sides are roughly 20 & 22 minutes long.

2 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Thanks. Might pass this one if true.

Well I love Henderson’s contribution on IEIWLY and I can’t imagine they’d cut that. In fact all of those are choice compositions which give significance to the date. It’s hard to imagine any one of them being cut. I hope they just squeeze it all on. 

Maybe I’ll stick to the CD... :(

20 minutes ago, Dave James said:

I just pulled my copy of the Connoissuer "Kicker" out of the stacks.  Man, that is one fine session.  His best ??  

I would always put ‘Happenings’, ‘Oblique’, ‘Components’, ‘Total Eclipse’, ‘Spiral’ and ‘Medina’ at the front but for sure, it is a mighty fine session. Might even be tempted by this Tone Poet !

On 12/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, jlhoots said:

BUT - I have all of them in one form or another except the Metheny which I don't care about!!

That's a shame, it's a great album.  Check it out.  I should know as I'm the resident Metheny expert on this board. :D "The Red One", "Say The Brother's Name" are some of his best blowing tunes , I do not do vinyl, I have the CD and is an excellent recording sonically.

Edited by CJ Shearn

3 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

That's a shame, it's a great album.  Check it out.  I should know as I'm the resident Metheny expert on this board. :D "The Red One", "Say The Brother's Name" are some of his best blowing tunes , I do not do vinyl, I have the CD and is an excellent recording sonically.

Actually, I don't do vinyl either - no turntable!!

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

BTW, does this edition of "Poppin'" have my liner notes, the ones I wrote for the album's original release on LP -- in Japan in 1982? Hope so; they were good. If not, and someone's curious, they're in my book. Or if not, and someone's REAL curious, I could try to post them here,

Larry - if they use your notes again, do they have to pay you for that use? I mean, you did this for BN Japan, right? Can they use them here in the US without paying you?

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Larry - if they use your notes again, do they have to pay you for that use? I mean, you did this for BN Japan, right? Can they use them here in the US without paying you?

Haven't thought about that aspect, but at least one other set of notes that I wrote in the early 1980s for Japanese Blue Note, Jackie McLean's "Consequence," was eventually used here with no payment to me. I never gave that a thought, though I was annoyed that the three-page typescript I had sent to Japan  got jumbled  up over there so that the final results --- there and later on over here -- are to some degree incoherent. I can explain how to sort things out so that the notes do make sense, if anyone cares.

23 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Haven't thought about that aspect, but at least one other set of notes that I wrote in the early 1980s for Japanese Blue Note, Jackie McLean's "Consequence," was eventually used here with no payment to me.

Blue Note. Right up there with the Andorrans. 

Royalties for liner notes? Really?

"A royalty is a legally-binding payment made to an individual, for the ongoing use of his or her originally-created assets."

I don't recall that the "on-going use" question/issue ever came up. Yes, those assets (the liner notes) were originally created by me, but they weren't copyrighted by me so....  OTOH, as I said above, I didn't think or care about a second payment when I saw the US CD issue some years later. Rather, I was annoyed that the notes were still garbled when I easily could have untangled that mess for them. But they either didn't notice or didn't care.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'm thinking that you probably got paid like a sideman would, a one time "services rendered" fee, all rights going to the payer, subject to any agreement to the contrary.

Would that be correct?

I believe that’s correct, unless there was an agreement that said otherwise. 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm thinking that you probably got paid like a sideman would, a one time "services rendered" fee, all rights going to the payer, subject to any agreement to the contrary.

Would that be correct?

Sounds right, but I don't recall any paperwork to that effect.

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

You’re part of history!

I see from a uk website that your notes are indeed used for Poppin’

https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8714149--hank-mobley-poppin-vinyl-edition

For those keeping score at home, the "Consequence" liner notes jigsaw puzzle solved. 

On  both the LP and CD versions,  the first four graphs are in correct order, but the next graph, which begins "As evidence of this..." and the one that follows it ("The rhythm section is 'up' too...") should be preceded by the graphs that begin "Immediately striking here..." and "But Morgan turns..." (That is, graphs seven and eight of the LP and CD notes are graphs five and six in my original typescript.). The "rhythm section is 'up' too..." graph then should be followed by the one that begins "Somewhat overshadowed in critical esteem...". From there on, the notes are in the right order.

And hooray re: the "Poppin' notes. I loved writing about Mobley, and  I think that that was my best shot at it.