Blue Note Tone Poet Series to continue in 2020...

Aftab

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Interviewees in the I CALLED HIM MORGAN doc claim Lee started wearing his hair like this to cover up scars from a drug-related injury.

I always wondered why Morgan looked like that on the cover for Live at the Lighthouse, and what might have been the cause.

( I replaced "what Morgen looked like that" with "why Morgan looked like that" --  L. Kart moderator; so shoot me)

R-4460657-1367363663-2141.jpeg.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dexter's One Flight Up & Hill's Passing Ships have to be set up as huge sellers within this line. Both are preorder right now. Anyone going in for them? I have Passing Ships on CD so may skip that one. But I don't have OFU in any format, but frequently stream and love Tanya. Betting that's going to sound really good on this reissue. 

6 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Dexter's One Flight Up & Hill's Passing Ships have to be set up as huge sellers within this line. Both are preorder right now. Anyone going in for them? I have Passing Ships on CD so may skip that one. But I don't have OFU in any format, but frequently stream and love Tanya. Betting that's going to sound really good on this reissue. 

I already have a great-sounding LP cut by Kevin Gray of Gordon's "One Flight Up" on the Cisco label. No need for me to pick this one up. And Hill's "Passing Ships" is probably going to be a bit expensive as it's 3 sides, so that might hurt the sales.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2021 at 1:05 PM, Dub Modal said:

I will definitely get both of those upcoming Tone Poets. I do not have any versions of those in my collection and the Tone Poet releases will be welcome additions.

I just discovered the Tone Poet series about 2 months ago and have bought 10 Tone Poet releases in that time. imho, the Tone Poet series is the best quality and value in vinyl. The sound of the Tone Poet releases is amazing - perhaps the best sounding vinyl I have ever heard (all except Andrew Hill's Black Fire,  which does have some kind of flutter or other sound issues; the Hoffman forum has hundreds of pages on it; "warblegate" is what I think they call it). And they are packaged in beautiful gatefold sleeves with great Blue Note b/w photos in the inner gatefolds. Quality all around.

And most of the Tone Poets can be found for $26 on Amazon (w/free shipping). That is a great value for audiophile vinyl in today's over-hyped and over-valued new vinyl market.

Also, a tip: do not buy from the Blue Note store if you can avoid it because the Blue Note store sells the Tone Poets for list price ($35 for single lps), then adds over $5 for shipping, so the total cost (with tax added) would be over $40 per lp at the Blue Note store. That is even too much for me. I bought most of the 10 Tone Poets I have for $26 (plus tax) on Amazon. And Amazon packages these wonderfully (unlike how Amazon packs most of their products). Each lp is shipped in a quality cardboard record mailer that fits the lp perfectly and then that is placed insde a much large box for extra protection. All of my Tone Poets have arrived in perfect shape.

Edited by pglbook

10 minutes ago, pglbook said:

I will definitely get both of those upcoming Tone Poets. I do not have any versions of those in my collection and the Tone Poet releases will be welcome additions.

I just discovered the Tone Poet series about 2 months ago and have bought 10 Tone Poet releases in that time. imho, the Tone Poet series is the best quality and value in vinyl. The sound of the Tone Poet releases is amazing - perhaps the best sounding vinyl I have ever heard (all except Andrew Hill's Black Fire,  which does have some kind of flutter or other sound issues; the Hoffman forum has hundreds of pages on it; "warblegate" is what I think they call it). And they are packaged in beautiful gatefold sleeves with great Blue Note b/w photos in the inner gatefolds. Quality all around.

And most of the Tone Poets can be found for $26 on Amazon (w/free shipping). That is a great value for audiophile vinyl in today's over-hyped and over-valued new vinyl market.

Also, a tip: do not buy from the Blue Note store if you can avoid it because the Blue Note store sells the Tone Poets for list price ($35 for single lps), then adds over $5 for shipping, so the total cost (with tax added) would be over $40 per lp at the Blue Note store. That is even too much for me. I bought most of the 10 Tone Poets I have for $26 (plus tax) on Amazon. And Amazon packages these wonderfully (unlike how Amazon packs most of their products). Each lp is shipped in a quality cardboard record mailer that fits the lp perfectly and then that is placed insde a much large box for extra protection. All of my Tone Poets have arrived in perfect shape.

The best time to use the store is when they’re having a sale. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

The best time to use the store is when they’re having a sale. 

The problem is that buying Tone Poets at the Blue Note store when they have a 15% or 20% or 25% off sale is still more expensive (when shipping cost and tax are added) than buying from Amazon and some other places.

I received a 10% discount code from Blue Note when I registered at their site a month or two ago and ended up not buying anything because a single Tone Poet lp would still have cost me $38 after the discount when shipping and tax were added in. I bought most of my Tone Poet lps from Amazon for $26 each (btw, Dusty Groove also has a lot of the more recent Tone Poet lps for $28 each. I bought 2 of my Tone Poets from them).

Edited by pglbook

1 hour ago, pglbook said:

The problem is that buying Tone Poets at the Blue Note store when they have a 15% or 20% or 25% off sale is still more expensive (when shipping cost and tax are added) than buying from Amazon and some other places.

I received a 10% discount code from Blue Note when I registered at their site a month or two ago and ended up not buying anything because a single Tone Poet lp would still have cost me $38 after the discount when shipping and tax were added in. I bought most of my Tone Poet lps from Amazon for $26 each (btw, Dusty Groove also has a lot of the more recent Tone Poet lps for $28 each. I bought 2 of my Tone Poets from them).

Just going from memory, right before Christmas it was 30%. I think if you bought a certain amount shipping was free. It’s hard to beat Amazon though. 

The Blue Note store and the UMusic store both suck at delivering in a timely manner. I ordered from both of these places during sales and in both cases, I had to wait several months to get anything. It got so bad with the last UMusic sale, that I actually cancelled my entire order after 3 and a half months of waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

had amazon points so i went ahead and ordered the new RAJAH and sold back the old one-, you think i did ok. none of yours were warped?.  i mean as long as it plays ill be ok- the Mobley/poppin was ok, maybe not to everyone, but nothing bad stood out.  its on the way 

I don't think I have any of those DMM LPs left in my collection... maybe Mobley's "Straight No Filter"? I remember not liking the sound of those DMM LPs very much. The new Tone Poet LP of "The Rajah" sounds very nice. I have no complaints.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

I picked up Andrew Hill's Passing Ships and Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up yesterday.  Both releases are excellent.  

Do you have Passing Ships on CD to make a comparison?  I'm very tempted by the LP as I have appreciated other Tone Poets.

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Do you have Passing Ships on CD to make a comparison?  I'm very tempted by the LP as I have appreciated other Tone Poets.

I have the Passing Ships CD which sounds great and I wasn't desperate for a new edition but I picked up the Tone Poet because it's my favourite Andrew Hill album.  I'm not an audiophile or vinyl fetishist but the vinyl does sound really good to me.  

9 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

I have the Passing Ships CD which sounds great and I wasn't desperate for a new edition but I picked up the Tone Poet because it's my favourite Andrew Hill album.  I'm not an audiophile or vinyl fetishist but the vinyl does sound really good to me.  

Thanks, that's just about a description of my situation too

Yes, the Tone Poet Rajah sounds much better than the DMM version.

On 3/26/2021 at 0:27 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

had amazon points so i went ahead and ordered the new RAJAH and sold back the old one-, you think i did ok. none of yours were warped?.  i mean as long as it plays ill be ok- the Mobley/poppin was ok, maybe not to everyone, but nothing bad stood out.  its on the way 

4 hours ago, bresna said:

Blue Note actually had Malcolm Addey go back to the original analog multitracks to re-mix this to stereo in the analog domain for this LP, so it should sound different just because of that.

Which record is this?

10 hours ago, bresna said:

Blue Note actually had Malcolm Addey go back to the original analog multitracks to re-mix this to stereo in the analog domain for this LP, so it should sound different just because of that.

Doesn’t Kevin Gray do all their LP work?

On 5/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, bresna said:

do multitraks even exist for this one cause its was unreleased at the original time period  and never finished