Blue Note Tone Poet Series to continue in 2020...

Aftab

Check this out...lots of cool titles coming, though I'll have to wait a year for Scofield/Metheny :(

http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

My highlights...

January 24

Hank Mobley – Poppin’ (Blue Note, 1957)

February 28

Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)

April 24

Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)

June 26

Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)

September 25

Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

October 23

Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)

November 20

Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

December 11

Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full list:

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2020 Release Schedule:

January 24

February 28

• Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
  • Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)

March 27

• Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)
  • Herbie Hancock – The Prisoner (Blue Note, 1969)

April 24

• Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)

May 22

• Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

June 26

• Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

July 24

• Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
  • Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)

August 28

• Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)

September 25

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

October 23

• Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)

November 20

• Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

December 11

• Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

chewy checkin' in, they're really doin poppin'? i passed on a i -think- it was the 2nd issue 1981 pressing, not mint- i thought for a record from that timeframe i should be able to have a mint one.  Whats the over-under on this one- will it really be from an analog master?  Will they align the tape up correctly for playback?  Will they press it real good, coming out 1/24 will it be pressed right now?  I hope they are not overworked for holidays and not being careful.  So many issues to worry about.  This tape if they really have gained access to it has only been checked out a few times.  they could really do a good job

7 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Is this important? Are later releases worse on average?

Nothing but a chuckle about the label's ongoing artistic cachet and continuing commercial viability was enhanced, not diminished, by all the after-the-fact issue of vault material. Cuscuna and everybody else who pumped that stuff out back in the day have been proven to have served both art and commerce in equal measure.

Let that be a lesson to us all! :g

IMO, The Kicker is a very solid first recording -- but Oblique is on an entirely different level. 

I understand the delay in releasing The Kicker, especially relative to Dialogue.  But Oblique?  The only reason BN sat on that one is because Bobby was cranking out masterpiece after masterpiece, and the marketplace couldn't handle so many.  

Both of Hutcherson's quartet recordings with Herbie -- Happenings and Oblique -- are so, so, so special. :wub:

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I think you'll really enjoy Oblique, Pim.

Here's a little preview.  The composition is "Subtle Neptune" by Hutcherson.  It always gets me.

Yeah that definitely sounds like my cup of tea! I haven’t heard Hutcherson play a bad note in the ‘60’s. You are the one and only official Hutchfan but I also count myself among his fans ;)

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Both of Hutcherson's quartet recordings with Herbie -- Happenings and Oblique -- are so, so, so special. :wub:

I agree that they are good, but actually much prefer Oblique because of the darker undertones, that Chambers seems to be more hard-driving and the looser feel of the improvisation. 

But how do you feel about Total Eclipse compared to these two? To me, Total Eclipse is really an excellent album that has a lot of atmosphere as well. It does not have that "dark" quality of Oblique, but it has everything else. To hear early Chick Corea, Harold Land and Hutcherson together with Joe Chambers and Reggie Johnson in the rhythm section - I think it is magic. 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

But how do you feel about Total Eclipse compared to these two? To me, Total Eclipse is really an excellent album that has a lot of atmosphere as well. It does not have that "dark" quality of Oblique, but it has everything else. To hear early Chick Corea, Harold Land and Hutcherson together with Joe Chambers and Reggie Johnson in the rhythm section - I think it is magic. 

Yes, I love Total Eclipse too. Absolutely.  ... In my mind, just like Happenings and Oblique go together as a logical pair, Total Eclipse goes with Medina (specifically, the Medina CD reissue that includes the music from Spiral).  If the Hutcherson & Hancock are at the center of the first pairing, Hutcherson & Land are the heart of the latter. 

@Aftab Sorry to have sidetracked your thread with so much Hutch talk. Now back to your normally scheduled programming. ;) 

Edited by HutchFan