Blue Note Tone Poet Series to continue in 2020...

Aftab

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

do multitraks even exist for this one cause its was unreleased at the original time period  and never finished

The master tape (or tapes?) for "Passing Ships" was done using an 8 track recorder. I've read that it was one Van Gelder's first attempts at multi-track recording. There was an incomplete stereo master tape in the vault and originally, Michael Cuscuna thought the multi-track tapes were lost. When he found them, he had Malcolm Addey digitally mix them down to stereo for the 2003 CD. I believe that Andrew Hill approved that final CD mix.

Addey re-mixed these 8 track masters in the analog domain to create a new analog stereo master tape specifically for this new Tone Poet LP.

4 hours ago, bresna said:

The master tape (or tapes?) for "Passing Ships" was done using an 8 track recorder. I've read that it was one Van Gelder's first attempts at multi-track recording. There was an incomplete stereo master tape in the vault and originally, Michael Cuscuna thought the multi-track tapes were lost. When he found them, he had Malcolm Addey digitally mix them down to stereo for the 2003 CD. I believe that Andrew Hill approved that final CD mix.

Addey re-mixed these 8 track masters in the analog domain to create a new analog stereo master tape specifically for this new Tone Poet LP.

very very interesting- thank you

It's a good record, I was very pleasantly surprised, and the AAA chain intrigues me more than a little, but....$40 for a double lp? For a NEW lp, not, like a Mint OG Horo... I can let that go. Had to think about it first, though 

For $20, though, yeah. In a minute. Let an LP be a LP.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's a good record, I was very pleasantly surprised, and the AAA chain intrigues me more than a little, but....$40 for a double lp? For a NEW lp, not, like a Mint OG Horo... I can let that go. Had to think about it first, though 

For $20, though, yeah. In a minute. Let an LP be a LP.

If you amortize that additional $20 over the rest of your life, it's not that much. Let's say you've got 30 more years, that's 66 cents a year for Passing Ships in (perhaps) breathtaking analog.Of course, I'm not saying this is necessarily THE record on which to break the bank, and I certainly understand the slippery slope issue. But having said that, if you're really feeling it ... you're the one who always says Carpe Diem!

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Compared to the prices for audiophile records nowadays, that doesn’t seem overly expensive. 

Expense is not a concern. I got 40 bucks. What the issue is, is that $40 for a new record (a 2-LP set but only 3 sides of music) of a CD that I already have, JUST to get it in AAA...Not seeing the value there for me.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Expense is not a concern. I got 40 bucks. What the issue is, is that $40 for a new record (a 2-LP set but only 3 sides of music) of a CD that I already have, JUST to get it in AAA...Not seeing the value there for me.

Can’t disagree with that.