Paul Butterfield

This brings to mind something that took place back in c.1965.

Another young couple and my wife and I went from Detroit to Chicago for a long weekend. While there we saw that the Paul Butterfield Band was playing at one of the Blues Clubs. We went to hear them, and after he first 3 or 4 tunes the drummer got sick and had to leave. Butterfield asked if anyone in the audience played the drums.  My friend told me to raise my hand. The truth is that I was not really a drummer. For many years I had played the brushes at home along with a broad variety of jazz records. I was decent enough in that context, but was not even close to being a real drummer. Nonetheless my friend raised his hand and said that I was a drummer. Paul called me up to the stand and encouraged me to play. I did my best for the next 3 tunes, and then the set ended. That was the sum total of my on stage experience as a musician.

As I went to sit back down with my wife and friends, a member of the audience said to me you are a jazz drummer, not a blues band drummer, but you sounded ok.

5 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

This brings to mind something that took place back in c.1965.

Another young couple and my wife and I went from Detroit to Chicago for a long weekend. While there we saw that the Paul Butterfield Band was playing at one of the Blues Clubs. We went to hear them, and after he first 3 or 4 tunes the drummer got sick and had to leave. Butterfield asked if anyone in the audience played the drums.  My friend told me to raise my hand. The truth is that I was not really a drummer. For many years I had played the brushes at home along with a broad variety of jazz records. I was decent enough in that context, but was not even close to being a real drummer. Nonetheless my friend raised his hand and said that I was a drummer. Paul called me up to the stand and encouraged me to play. I did my best for the next 3 tunes, and then the set ended. That was the sum total of my on stage experience as a musician.

As I went to sit back down with my wife and friends, a member of the audience said to me you are a jazz drummer, not a blues band drummer, but you sounded ok.

That’s an amazing story. How many of us can say they played with the likes of him. Very few I’d bet. 

When I think of Paul Butterfield, the word "originator" does not come to mind.   The degree to which the Paul Butterfield Blues Band paved new ground, I don't think it was Butterfield who was really doing it - Bloomfield to somewhat a greater degree.

I think of Paul Butterfield as a damn good Chicago bluesman and harmonica player who just happened to be white.  Yes, he was much more authentic than Mayall.  He embodied the Chicago blues in a serious way.  But I don't see him as some kind of innovator. 

2 hours ago, John L said:

When I think of Paul Butterfield, the word "originator" does not come to mind.   The degree to which the Paul Butterfield Blues Band paved new ground, I don't think it was Butterfield who was really doing it - Bloomfield to somewhat a greater degree.

I think of Paul Butterfield as a damn good Chicago bluesman and harmonica player who just happened to be white.  Yes, he was much more authentic than Mayall.  He embodied the Chicago blues in a serious way.  But I don't see him as some kind of innovator. 

I think it can get complicated separating the musician and the band.  The Butterfield Blues Band most certainly were innovators.  There is absolutely no precedent for "East-West".  I don't know how credit should be allocated among Butterfield, Bloomfield, and Bishop, but the sum is astounding.  And I consider Butterfield the musician to be the best (or at least my favorite) harmonica player.  Certainly he built upon the innovations of Little Walter, but build he did, not just recycle.  And his late-60's bands after Bloomfield (and then Bishop) left were a beautiful hybrid of styles which were his/their own, and could not at all be pegged as "Chicago Blues (nor can "East-West").

Butter is maybe my third favorite harmonica player, after Little Walter and Jr. Wells, but that's still pretty much head and shoulders above the crowd.   Bloomfield I have mixed feelings about, but when he was on he was exhilarating.  Bishop gets lost in the mix, no doubt unfairly.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

16 hours ago, felser said:

I think it can get complicated separating the musician and the band.  The Butterfield Blues Band most certainly were innovators.  There is absolutely no precedent for "East-West".  I don't know how credit should be allocated among Butterfield, Bloomfield, and Bishop, but the sum is astounding.  And I consider Butterfield the musician to be the best (or at least my favorite) harmonica player.  Certainly he built upon the innovations of Little Walter, but build he did, not just recycle.  And his late-60's bands after Bloomfield (and then Bishop) left were a beautiful hybrid of styles which were his/their own, and could not at all be pegged as "Chicago Blues (nor can "East-West").

You may be right.  My knowledge of the Butterfield Blues Band is limited.  I have always thought that Butterfield was interested in fronting a pretty standard Chicago blues band, as reflected on the first album, and that it wasn't him that pushed in the direction of East-West.  I guess I just base that on things that I have heard through the years, although I can't recall anything specific at this point.  I certainly do agree with you that he was a great harmonica player.