Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shrdlu

The 1966 Violin Summit

6 posts in this topic

Recently, the 1966 Violin Summit came to mind. I'm not big on violin, but this is an excellent session and deserves to be better-known. You don't hear about it much.

It features Stéphane Grapelly, Svend Asmussen (from Denmark), Stuff Smith and that French sensation of the electric violin, Jean-Luc Ponty. They program most of it with only two at a time.

It is all very enjoyable, but Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, on bass, steals the show, especially on "It Don't Mean A Thing". He is recorded high up in the mix.

Kenny Drew is on piano, and Alex Riel is on drums.

It is from a festival in Switzerland (I don't remember where), on September 30, 1966. It came out on the MPS label.

I hope you are able to hear it.

There are some details here

https://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.net/3137713478-stuff-smith-violin-summit-1966-2015-hi-res.html

I think this record was still quite popular when I was Young. There was also a later Version called "New Violin Summit". 

I have both LPs, the latter, of course, is two LPs. I also have a recording somewhere in my digital files of Svend Asmussen, Jean-Luc Ponty and Ray Nance playing together, it may have come from an archive.com video at Monterey.

I like New Violin Summit quite a bit, with Ponty, Sugarcane Harris, and Michael Urbaniak.  Have never heard the 1966 Summit.

Here is the link to the 1967 Monterey Jazz Festival NET television broadcast that I discussed earlier:

https://archive.org

For some reason, my computer is not copying the complete link to the exact page, so search for:

Monterey Jazz Festival 1967 - N.E.T. Festival