Unavailability of hard copy CD product !!!

I am really pissed off about not being able to get CDs of new 2019 (primarily big band/large ensemble releases).....most show up on CD baby as downloads only and on amazon as downloads only......a lot of the releases are foreign but not all.......CD Baby has gotten especially bad over the last couple of years.  The CDs of these releases do exist cause I checked.   Over and over you click on a release and it's available as MP3 download only.  I have a laundry list of at least 15 new releases that I can't get.    Perhaps someone on this board knows of some easier accessible way to get new product.

Any download site that wants to be regarded as decent MUST offer downloads in WAV or CDA format, not just mp3 (and especially not 192 mp3!!). However, I DJ house (music) and mostly, one has to download those in 320 mp3. Those come across well through loud sound systems, to be honest, but jazz deserves better than mp3. Imagine the new Mobley Mosaic set in mp3. :(

10 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Without an example of what you are looking for, it is hard to provide any help.

This is a sampling of what I'm looking for with some before 2018 releases indicated in ( )

1. New Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra - Rotterdam Suite

2. Peter Tenner Jazz Orchestra - Neuland

3. Stageband Jazz Orchestra - Hallsta Suite

4. Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next Big Band - Listen Up !

5. Marcus Wyatt & The ZAR Jazz Orchestra - One Night in the Sun

6. Remy Le Boeuf - Assembly of Shadows

7. Thomas Stabenow & NDR Big Band - S/t (2015)

8. DW Jazz Orchestra - Coalescence (2017)

9. Tom Haines & The Birmingham(UK) Jazz Orchestra - Live (2017)

10. Jaelem Bhate - On the Edge

Edited by bigbandrecord

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

That might be at the boundary between fan and stalker.

Hey, they're coming to my house. It'll be my reputation that's on the line. I don't want anybiod saying hey that little Jimmy Sangrey, we walked all the way from Sausalito to take him his records and then he didn't even invite us in for a bowl of that hot beef stew which we clearly smelled cooking, that guy's an asshole.

See, I was raised in a small town, and we just didn't act like that. Nor were we encouraging of it in others.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hey, they're coming to my house. It'll be my reputation that's on the line. I don't want anybiod saying hey that little Jimmy Sangrey, we walked all the way from Sausalito to take him his records and then he didn't even invite us in for a bowl of that hot beef stew which we clearly smelled cooking, that guy's an asshole.

See, I was raised in a small town, and we just didn't act like that. Nor were we encouraging of it in others.

Well, if they personally deliver the CD, there won't be wondrous cooking going on in my house, but I will take them out to a nice place for dinner. 

4 minutes ago, relyles said:

I don't think you can entirely blame CD Baby since they only offer what the artists provide to them.

This is true--it's simply further indication of the CD's decline as a salable product.  An American artist now based in Europe came through a few months ago and brought his new release to the studio with him--only on vinyl, no CD.  Fortunately we still have a record player in the on-air studio that I fought vigorously to retain several years ago.  He said his CDs simply weren't selling any more, that most people wanted either vinyl, downloads, or streaming.  I still much prefer CDs to anything else, but this trend has been going on for quite awhile now.  In the next couple of years we'll be digitalizing our jazz library, though we'll be keeping the CDs (just as we've kept almost all of our vinyl, which I still use from time to time).

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

CDs simply weren't selling any more, that most people wanted either vinyl, downloads, or streaming.  I still much prefer CDs to anything else, but this trend has been going on for quite awhile now.

I almost never do downloads (3-4 releases total, over the last decade, literally).  And I only buy vinyl if there's no other option -- and even then, never "new releases" that are only on vinyl (though I will occasionally buy some older vinyl, for something that's never been on CD ever, or is impossible to find on CD).

I suppose eventually I might have to buy actual "new" new releases on vinyl, to avoid downloads (which I hate), but it hasn't come to that yet.

I too prefer CD's FAR AND AWAY over every other format, but I guess I'm a dying breed.  Might be easier if I was already 70, and my "buying years" were more limited -- but I expect to have some continued interest in music for another 20-25 years, I hope.

As a result, 80% of my purchases (overall), have been of older product that was released years ago -- almost always stuff by older artists I'm just discovering now.  But new artists, for the most part, I'll never hear 95% of their stuff as a result.

I guess I'm entirely the one to blame, but I refuse to dump money into downloads, i.e. data that I won't necessary have reliable access to 10-20 years from now unless all the planets stay in perfect alignment to keep all that virtual music accessible in perpetuity.

2 hours ago, relyles said:

I don't think you can entirely blame CD Baby since they only offer what the artists provide to them.

Well they need to at least separate there CD inventories from there download only inventories......or change there name to DOWNLOAD BABY

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

#6 on your list is available here...

https://remyleboeuf.bandcamp.com/album/assembly-of-shadows

and #9 is available here...

https://tomhaines.bandcamp.com/album/tom-haines-the-birmingham-jazz-orchestra-live

NONE of the others are even listed on Discogs.org (actually none of the entire list are), fwiw.

Thank You.....I was aware of the Remy Leboeuf CD being available as of last night......the Tom Haines one, no.

8 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

This is a sampling of what I'm looking for with some before 2018 releases indicated in ( )

No luck either using the usual suspects (which you certainly tried as well). In general, I can recommend jpc.de in Germany. Was surprised that they don't have the NDR Big Band recording. Maybe try to contact the artists directly on social media (if that's your thing). Just shows you have an exclusive taste.

7 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Here's a lot of beautiful PICTURES of item #1 from the list, of the CD and its marvelous packaging!!

Very nice!

OK, here's #2 from the list.  I wasn't really sure if this was a CD -- or maybe just a download(?) -- but when you add it to your cart, it does have shipping options (and shipping costs!!), which implies it's a physical product!  So this sure seems like a real CD to me...

https://www.octason-records.com/en/product/neuland-peter-tenner-jazz-orchester

As far as #3 goes, all I can seem to find is a 'contact page' for the band itself (on their own website).  You could contact them directly, and ask?

https://www.stageband.nl/contact/

But here's #4 on CD!! -- turns out I had to take the "-" (the dash) out of "gen-next" in my search -- or at least that seemed to get more more relevant results (though you'd think Google wouldn't have such wildly different results from different punctuation like that, such a small difference).

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/ralphpetersonsgennextbigband1

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Looks like #10 is available directly from the composer himself...

https://jaelembhate.ca/jazz

• 'On the edge' is available on iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, and all other major streaming platforms. Available for free on youtube music and Soundcloud.
  • Like what you hear? Consider contacting me to purchase a signed copy of the CD, and help support the next record!

https://jaelembhate.ca/contact

9 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

1. New Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra - Rotterdam Suite

2. Peter Tenner Jazz Orchestra - Neuland

3. Stageband Jazz Orchestra - Hallsta Suite

4. Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next Big Band - Listen Up !

5. Marcus Wyatt & The ZAR Jazz Orchestra - One Night in the Sun

6. Remy Le Boeuf - Assembly of Shadows

7. Thomas Stabenow & NDR Big Band - S/t (2015)

8. DW Jazz Orchestra - Coalescence (2017)

9. Tom Haines & The Birmingham(UK) Jazz Orchestra - Live (2017)

10. Jaelem Bhate - On the Edge

I have a CD of Ralph Peterson's Gen-Next Big Band - Listen Up! and it is available on CD Baby, plus the other usual websites, I'm sure.