Wayne Shorter

Hardbopjazz

• 5 months later...

Wow, haven't heard this anywhere else, but in today Mosaic email, Cuscuna says. "Wayne is no longer able to play or tour, though he continues to compose." The article he links to makes no mention of this, but still, it seems plausible, and MC is not one to tell tales out of school: https://downbeat.com/news/detail/sfjazz-to-host-streaming-tribute-fundraiser-for-wayne-shorter

Sobering news...

21 hours ago, medjuck said:

Wayne needs a fundraiser?!! The health system in this country stinks. 

I note that nobody is saying that he "needs" a fundraiser, just that they are supporting him at this time.

Having said that, yes it does, and it may be that the support now is to prevent against him actually needing one going forth.

Here's the schedule for SFJAZZ's streaming series which includes multiple tributes to Wayne. I believe these were all the shows hastily assembled (with Herbie's help) after he had to cancel his run last January. I got to see the 'Wayne Shorter Celebration Pt. 2' (from 1/3/19) coming up on June 26.

Fridays at Five