What key is this in?

mjzee

I owned Ruben & The Jets since my teenage years.  But listening to it with adult ears, on the Greasy Love Songs CD, I was struck by how strange so many of these songs are.

One song I've recently been obsessed with is "How Could I Be Such A Fool."  What key is this in?

My Tonette is calling it Db.

Of more interest to me is how the original is in 3 (or 6, if you prefer), but for Reuben they put in 4 (or 8). That really fucked me up the first few times hearing it.

Also, fwiw, I think this - the original - might be the one(?) time that Zappa really let out his pain w/o irony or snark.

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Also, fwiw, I think this - the original - might be the one(?) time that Zappa really let out his pain w/o irony or snark.

I agree with you.  Some of the lyrics are actually poetic: "I know now that you never really loved me; it hurts me now to think you never really cared...how could I be taken in by your sweet face..you'll regret the way you treated me, as if I was a fool and didn't know..."

But musically, and with the arrangement, the Ruben & The Jets track is really something else.  The reason I asked about the key is it reminded me of some of those "Beatles in minor keys" tracks that appeared on YouTube a few years ago.  The key change transformed those tracks, and made them sound sinister and haunting.

It's the same changes, believe it or not. The change in the meter is what makes it weird, especially for the "how could I be such a fool" section". For that, the melody get tweaked to pull it deep into the vampchugging that's going on underneath. But the changes themselves...still the same.