***RARE BRUBECK ITEM***

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Capture

1-2-50?  That would be at the start of the DB trio-- what oh what is on it? Live aircheck of Dave?  or something else?   I WILL FOUND OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes you just gotta spend 32 dollars, it felt right-- IT FELT RIGHT 

its a lp dealer, but Martinez, ca is prime early 50s brubeck territory...........

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

This could well have Cal Tjader on drums.

yyyyyyy!!!! the dawg who got the whole thing started: see yesterday i passed on a $1 copy of the vido musso galaxy w/ cal band backing- i thought i didnt have any more room i could make in my Coronet/Fantasy/Galaxy/Goodtime Jazz 78 rpm book-- but then i made 2 spaces but then i wanted the original soul sauce and the other Cal on vibes as leader 78 i didnt have (not vibra-thrape, the otherone) and i kinda wanted to Vido but Vido kind of sucks the record was pretty jarring- boots randolph style solo followed by a short cal solo, but i was thinkin ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so i was lookin on ebay for a white label promo wachi wara original soul sauce....and came across THIS!   My default ebay settling is for jazz acetates now ever since i scored the gene ammons......but this one didnt use the word acetate so ifi wasnt diggin deeper cause of the cal thing i never would of found this!

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

OK IM GONNA BUST MY HUMP N TRY N PICK UP THE VIDO MUSO.  I MOVED BAJJO KINGS WHITE LABEL PROMO 78 FROM THE CORONET/FANTASY/GALAXY FOLDER TO THE COUNTRY SECTION, I PICKED OUT T GET RID OF "THE TOY VIOLIN" RCA VICTOR SHADED DOG 78-- EHH I CAN LIVE WITHOUT- NOW I HAVE FROM FOR THE VIDO AND FUTURE PURCHASES OFTHE TWO REMAINING CALS. IS VIDO A BIG DOG?  HE WAS W/ KENTON?  I DONT KNOW MAN

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Vido Musso was a good player who played with, a.o., Goodman before Kenton. With Kenton, he got a LOT of profile. Certainly a fine player, but a "big dog" he was not, especially not considering who all the "big dogs" of that time were.

Still, if you have a chance to get that 78, go for it. Ideally, you kennel should make a home for good dogs of all sizes.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

No. Yes.

Yes. Yes. The first Yes depends on where you look (and want to tread) within the wide range of jazz. Like Georgie Auld he did some not so thrilling commercial things (y'gotta eat y'know, like others held in awe anyway ;)) but if you are into some gutsy extrovert no-frills honkin' sax and think that even beyond Charlie Ventura this is not the all-exclusive domain of black sax men then he was not such a small dog for a time in the 40s and early 50s. The stuff he did for Modern, for example, bears reexploring (for those so inclined - all the others can and probably will of course look elsewhere to have THEIR tastes satisfied ;)).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Re: Musso's session with Cal Tjader:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 6, 1952
Label: Galaxy
Vido Musso Sextet

Vido Musso (ldr), Don Dennis (t), Vido Musso (ts), Cal Tjader (vib), Gil Barrios (p), Jack Weeks (b), Bobby White (d)

a. 1207 Cuttin' The Nut - 2:58(Vido Musso)
Galaxy 78 10" 704 — Vido Musso Sextet
Galaxy 45 704-X — Vido Musso Sextet
b. 1209 Come Back To Sorrento - 3:13(Claude Aveling, Ernesto DeCurtis)
Galaxy 78 10" 704 — Vido Musso Sextet
Galaxy 45 704-X — Vido Musso Sextet
c.   Grunions A-Runnin' - 4:50(Vido Musso)
All titles on: Fantasy EP 7" 4029 — Vido Musso Sextet

There is no composer credit for a. & c. on the labels; the tunes are not registered, but probably were written by Vido Musso. Cal Tjader has a short solo in a.; c. is an extended drum feature for Bobby White.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copies of the single or EP are not that hard to find. I had a transfer made of them. For Tjader completists only. 

Re: the Brubeck lacquer - I would have to listen to it to say anything about it, before that all we can do is speculate. I do not have any Brubeck session with that date in my sources. The date could be when the test pressing was made. How does he know it is a live recording when he cannot play it back?!? There were recordings of the Brubeck Octet made at radio stations.

Do you have a link to the ebay page so I can have a better look at the disc photo?