***RARE BRUBECK ITEM***

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at first i was disapointed it wasnt like i envisoined exactly- but hey- this is how it happned. i w/ how jsngry put it all together, i am liking it and there is a some sololing and i was right in my guess that it'd be the trio----  now whats this tv show!   this is going back really far- this is like pre beat movement bay area were talkin about, are we not.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Would be nice to hear anyway...you never know...especially if it's off a TV show. One name or place might be all it takes to get the ball rolling.

As far as TV shows...early local TV was a trip. They needed programming, and if somebody like Brubeck, who would have then been making a little noise in the area, wanted to come in a play a tune or two, no problem.

Apparently Jerry Lester in NYC would have guys on like this, isn't there a story of Bird coming on and jamming "Almost Like Being In Love" over the closing credits, something like that?

Just saying - assume nothing about what might or might not be nonsense unless/until you have a solid multi-planar frame of reference from which to so do!

Ok, are you sure it's TV and not radio? Either way, I don't know Jimmy Lyons' voice well enough to tell if it's him, but that would be a logical "first guess" as to who the host is, right?

I need to hear the whole disc!!!!

Barbara Ritchie is correct! She worked at NBC in San Francisco at the time; Dave and Iola Brubeck had remembered her name when asked about the singer's identity after James Harrod had found a test pressing with Brubeck cuts. 

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-11-15T16:19:00-08:00&max-results=7

Harrod found evidence that Frances Lynne also sang with the group, but this lacquer prooves that Ritchie did, too! I need to hear this to compare the voices, as there are no other recordings of her, and the few of Lynne are very hard to access.

Please get in touch with James Harrod about this!

This would be a great discovery for the Tjader discography as well. Tjader did tap dancing as a boy.

Edited by mikeweil

Barbara Ritchie leaves a little to be desired, maybe. But Brubeck backing her is almost like a parallel universe Monk!

That spoken introduction is a faux-erudite reference to autumn, therefore "September Song". It's annoying as fuck, that kind of thing, but Nat Hentoff a few years later does the same type thing only more fluently (which is even more annoying!).

Is there anything else on either side of the disc?

1 diallogue trk and 2 music, both non brubeck releated--- 

diagalgue trk is about xmas eve not a radio host intro but i dont know what so that makes sense w/ the date onthe other side- lemme post the music part  hold on

?????????????????????

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

The singer on "Button Up...." sounds a bit more polished than does this Barbara Ritchie, don't you think?

Yes.

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

so its definetly brubeck on piano on the singer part then too?

I hear some typical Brubeck pianistics of those years.

me too i think!!!!!!!!  so its a laquer, not an acetate?  or is it a laquer acetate? or?

so could the jimmy lyons nbc radio show fit a studio aud in for the applause?  or is it a track?  (fake applause)-- still radio , or is it TV?  no prob the lyons radio show------ but the applause.............

I know that Jimmy Lyons was a Disc Jockey. but he might have also had a live show from time to time, in-studio or location. But if this was location, I think he'd be pimpin the club?

Or maybe that's not Jimmy Lyons at all? Lyons regular show was on KNBC and was called Discapades.

If you could get some other sample of Lyons' voice, a comparison could be made. surely there's plenty out there?

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I hear some typical Brubeck pianistics of those years.

Same.