SOLD Blue Note cds: Mostly Mobley, but also Rollins, Dorham, Monk, mostly Japanese

jazzbo

The following Blue Note cds are NM and if Japanese include OBI. Price includes media mail postage within the US. US sales only please. If interested PM here. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Hank Mobley "Straight No Filter" Blue Note US Connoisseur cd, 7243 5 27549 2 2 (saw cut)  10 dollars

Stanley Turrentine "Up at Minton's Vol. 1" Universal Japan cd, UCCQ-9529 13 dollars

Sonny Rollins, "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (Complete) 2 cds, Blue Note US RVG Edition cd 11 dollars

Thelonious Monk "Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 2" 24 Bit by RVG Japanese TOCJ mini-lp cd, 16 dollars.
Edited by jazzbo

51 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I am not interested in the CDs, but just curious - what's up with the US-only shipping? America First? Has it become more cumbersome to ship out of the US?   

As far as I can remember Lon has never shipped outside the US.

Edited by J.A.W.

I am not an American "First" person. Perhaps the happiest years of my life were lived outside the US. 

It has become very expensive to ship outside the US and I find that the pricing is just not competitive. Several times I've packaged and gotten a price from the post office. . . only to have the sale fall through due to the high postage, and so I'm just deciding to ship domestically. Using media mail within the US is not inexpensive but it is less expensive than international mail.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

Has it become more cumbersome to ship out of the US?   

FWIW, last year around this time, I sent 2 CD’s (in jewel boxes) together in the same package - from the US to the UK, and it cost me a hair over $20, maybe closer to $22-$23. Absolute highway robbery, as I was expecting more like $10-12 maybe.

Tried to send them ‘media mail’, but no such option was available. Whatever manner of shipping, $20-$23 was the absolute cheapest option available.

Again, FWIW. I hadn’t sent anything overseas in close to 15 years, and I was astounded at the cost (especially since it was a gift, on my dime).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I am not an American "First" person. Perhaps the happiest years of my life were lived outside the US. 

America First was a joke, of course.

Since a lot of Americans (on Discogs, for example) don't sell overseas anymore, I thought that in addition to costs there might be other factors there - like customs forms to fill or whatever. 

I used to buy a lot of CDs from the US. Now with shipping rates this high (and with costs of CDs going down here in Europe), this rarely makes sense. And well, I don't buy that many CDs anymore anyway. 

Edited by Д.Д.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

America First was a joke, of course.

Since a lot of Americans (on Discogs, for example) don't sell overseas anymore, I thought that in additional to costs there might be other factors there - like customs forms to fill or whatever.

Basically you are right that there may well be other factors. Though not that likely here, of course, as l assume people around here are well versed with the ways of the world - literally both ways - which is why I'd assume most non-U.S. forumists would - unfortunately - be quite aware of the inflation of USPS rates during the past years too. So to avoid any misunderstandings and if ouverseas sales "at cost" were an option at all - particularly with those who would be preprared to pay those rates ANYWAY because they badly want a specific item - I'd guess just indicating upfront what overseas rates would be in the For Sale ads would be enough to allow non-US buyers to decide if they want to go ahead or not. That would be better for both sides than to have to cancel sales if the rates frighten off the potential buyer at the very last moment). 

BUT - I can tell you I have heard all sorts of things about why it is "US only".- through about 19 years on eBay, for example. About the weirdest line was "Why, to ship overseas I would have to queue up at a different counter at the Post Office! Surely you cannot expect me to do THAT!!! " So literally anything is possible if you happen to stumble across someone like that ...
But in all fairness - in my experience in the vast majority of cases sellers were only too glad to ship overseas once they were told before the deal was concluded that yes, the buyer IS aware that overseas rates are higher, and that yes, the buyer is prepared to pay that, of course. And in the case of printed matter (as may be relevant for jazz magazines or books too), many sellers were very pleased to be told about "Global Priority Flat Rate" envelopes (which do not seem to be on the radar of many in the US, and even though prices for these have more or less DOUBLED in the past 10 years too this still can be a worthwhile option).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I've had arguments like a queue at the Post Office, a different counter and having to fill out a customs declaration (and even the argument that someone didn't want to sell to non-Americans) thrown at me more than once when I asked why a seller wouldn't ship abroad, but the main reasons why I stopped buying stuff from overseas countries are indeed the extremely high postage rates, plus - in some cases - the hassle of having to pay customs duty/tax if the total value of an order exceeds 22 euros. I now mainly get my CDs from EU countries like Germany and France, most of the time hassle-free.

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

I've had arguments like a queue at the Post Office, a different counter and having to fill out a customs declaration (and even the argument that someone didn't want to sell to non-Americans) thrown at me more than once when I asked why a seller wouldn't ship abroad, but the main reasons why I stopped buying stuff from overseas countries are indeed the extremely high postage rates, plus - in some cases - the hassle of having to pay customs duty/tax if the total value of an order exceeds 22 euros. I now mainly get my CDs from EU countries like Germany and France, most of the time hassle-free.

I figure that Brexit will put paid even to euro imports for me...

38 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I figure that Brexit will put paid even to euro imports for me...

Well, if Boris does indeed go for a hard Brexit on December 31, 2020 (the end of the transition period), which many EU diplomats think he will (though they'll not say it out loud, at least not now), it probably will.

Still available:

The following Blue Note cds are NM and if Japanese include OBI. Price includes media mail postage within the US. US sales only please. If interested PM here. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Hank Mobley "Reach Out" Universal Japan cd, UCCQ-9515 13 dollars

Hank Mobley "Straight No Chaser" Blue Note US Connoisseur cd, 7243 5 27549 2 2 (saw cut)  10 dollars

Kenny Dorham "Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, Vol 1" plus 4 bonus tracks, EMI Japan cd, TYCJ-81038 13 dollars

Stanley Turrentine "Up at Minton's Vol. 1" Universal Japan cd, UCCQ-9529 13 dollars

Sonny Rollins, "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (Complete) 2 cds, Blue Note US RVG Edition cd 11 dollars

Thelonious Monk "Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 2" 24 Bit by RVG Japanese TOCJ mini-lp cd, 16 dollars.
Edited by jazzbo

Reach Out has sold, thanks Bart. 
Still available:

Hank Mobley "Straight No Filter" Blue Note US Connoisseur cd, 7243 5 27549 2 2 (saw cut) 10 dollars

Kenny Dorham "Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, Vol 1" plus 4 bonus tracks, EMI Japan cd, TYCJ-81038 13 dollars

Stanley Turrentine "Up at Minton's Vol. 1" Universal Japan cd, UCCQ-9529 13 dollars

Sonny Rollins, "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (Complete) 2 cds, Blue Note US RVG Edition cd 11 dollars

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, Vol. 1 has sold, thanks Kip. 
Still available:

Hank Mobley "Straight No Filter" Blue Note US Connoisseur cd, 7243 5 27549 2 2 (saw cut) 10 dollars

Stanley Turrentine "Up at Minton's Vol. 1" Universal Japan cd, UCCQ-9529 13 dollars

Sonny Rollins, "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (Complete) 2 cds, Blue Note US RVG Edition cd 11 dollars