Jerry Herman, RIP

GA Russell

I am curious why a film version of the Broadway musical version of the film La Cage aux Folles has never been made?  It's an easily entertaining show with several good songs.  It seems like most other major Broadway musical successes of recent years have made it to the big screen (including - shudder - Cats)  except this one.  I can't believe Hollywood is skittish about making it because of the subject matter.  Was Mr. Herman perhaps so displeased by the film adaptations of his other two big Broadway hits (each turned into bloated vanity projects for their respective stars) that he declined offers to film his last great musical?

Thanks a million for the tunes, Mr. Herman.

Well there was John Waters' film Hairspray, then John Waters' Broadway musical version of the film, then the film version of the Broadway musical version of the film, then the live TV musical version of the Broadway musical version of the film -- audiences did not seem to get confused and each production seemed to meet with success.  And Mel Brooks did a similar repackaging with The Producers and Disney did the same with The Lion King.

It just seems odd that so many recent(ish) Broadway musical successes have had movie versions made -- Rent, Les Miz, Dreamgirls, Mama Mia, Sweeney Todd, Into The Woods, Evita, Jersey Boys,  -- all except this one.  I honestly don't know if the decision not to make that movie was Hollywood's or Mr. Herman's.