Vinyl that you sold but regret that you did

mikeweil

We all probably sold LPs for lack of space or funds. It is just a few albums that I wish I had kept:

R-5002513-1397258118-4596.jpeg.jpg

R-2433295-1510490415-1503.jpeg.jpg

These were mono pressings that probably would sound terrific with the mono cartridge I now have ......

The next didn't thrill me musically, but it sounded great, like most Contemporary LPs:

R-1350705-1542390419-9336.jpeg.jpg

Your turn ........

Just now, soulpope said:

Kept both 😇 .... but many other "losses" on my side, have to recheck my memory for notable details ....

Maybe you bought my copies traded in at Mole Jazz for a couple of pounds each? ;)

Rare aberration though - pretty well kept everything else, apart from the ‘Phil Seamen Memorial Album’ which never grabbed me at the time.

33 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Maybe you bought my copies traded in at Mole Jazz for a couple of pounds each? ;)

Rare aberration though - pretty well kept everything else, apart from the ‘Phil Seamen Memorial Album’ which never grabbed me at the time.

Also plundered Mole Jazz from time to time during my stays in London , but bought the Love as new release (thnx to the urgency of forum member "blacksaint") in Vienna's famous "Red Octopus Records" and the Tolliver German Intercord edition via an auction in the 80's ....  

On the plus side of things - I came out with many more fine S/H buys from Mole’s upstairs ‘Collectors LPs’ section than I ever traded in. I think my ‘Flam’ was originally bought from them as a deletion as well, so I came out of it pretty well evens !

Edited by sidewinder

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Hopefully none of the King original issues like Oblique, Inner Glow etc. ?

From the GFX-Series I kept Bobby Hutcherson "Oblique", Tina Brooks "Minor Move", Jackie McLean "Street Singers" and Sonny Clark "My Conception" .... can`t remember about the ones i`ve sold (I`m getting old ....), potentially Wayne Shorter "The Collector" .....

25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

From the GFX-Series I kept Bobby Hutcherson "Oblique", Tina Brooks "Minor Move", Jackie McLean "Street Singers" and Sonny Clark "My Conception" .... can`t remember about the ones i`ve sold (I`m getting old ....), potentially Wayne Shorter "The Collector" .....

All winners.. (as is the Wayne).

I don't regret selling any of them. I hated vinyl back in the day. Poor pressings. Scratches. Pops. Hum. Rumble. Warps. Wobble. I am only buying it these days for fun. I still prefer CD.

Sometimes I think we look at vinyl with rose-colored glasses. Vinyl was a pain in the ass and there was a reason we all dumped our records. We've just forgotten a lot of the worst of it. :)

39 minutes ago, bresna said:

Vinyl was a pain in the ass and there was a reason we all dumped our records. We've just forgotten a lot of the worst of it. :)

Quality of the source and its phono-amplification, I find, is critical. Absolutely no point buying Tone Poets etc. to spin on a basic deck.

These days I find that the difference on my system has narrowed somewhat - especially with recent superb HQ CD issues such as the Tubby Hayes set. Where good quality/condition vinyl media is involved, the vinyl usually has a clear edge (at least in the opinion of my Mk 1 ears :)) and in my system.

Edited by sidewinder

I find that quality of the source and phono amplification has nothing to do with vinyl's shortcomings. You can have the best of everything and still have a crappy LP.

On top of that, nothing in your playback chain will make up for the fact that they have to modify the music to put it onto the LP and that the resulting specifications for that LP playback are all well below 16/44 PCM's specs. Signal-to-noise is much worse. There is wow & flutter. There is rumble. There is RIAA equalization. There are limits to how much bass can be cut. The list goes on & on. No such restrictions for digital... which brings me to: I blame the assholes mastering CDs these days for their downfall. CDs can capture everything. But this ability to capture and modify everything also gave mastering engineers the ability to muck it up badly, particularly with regards to dynamic range. There are so many poorly mastered CDs out there, particularly in the past few years, that people forget that there are a lot of incredible-sounding ones out there as well.

That said, I know where you are coming from with regards to vinyl playback. But as I've said many times, if a mastering engineer wanted to create a CD that sounded like an LP, all they would have to do is playback that record and convert it to 16/44 PCM and you would hear exactly what you hear when you play that record. 16/44 PCM can capture it all... including any warts that cause you to enjoy LP playback more than CD playback. I have many needle drop CDs and I can attest that they sound exactly like the LP it was made from, right down to the pops & clicks in all the same places. :) 

52 minutes ago, bresna said:

I find that quality of the source and phono amplification has nothing to do with vinyl's shortcomings. You can have the best of everything and still have a crappy LP.

On top of that, nothing in your playback chain will make up for the fact that they have to modify the music to put it onto the LP and that the resulting specifications for that LP playback are all well below 16/44 PCM's specs. Signal-to-noise is much worse. There is wow & flutter. There is rumble. There is RIAA equalization. There are limits to how much bass can be cut. The list goes on & on. No such restrictions for digital... which brings me to: I blame the assholes mastering CDs these days for their downfall. CDs can capture everything. But this ability to capture and modify everything also gave mastering engineers the ability to muck it up badly, particularly with regards to dynamic range. There are so many poorly mastered CDs out there, particularly in the past few years, that people forget that there are a lot of incredible-sounding ones out there as well.

That said, I know where you are coming from with regards to vinyl playback. But as I've said many times, if a mastering engineer wanted to create a CD that sounded like an LP, all they would have to do is playback that record and convert it to 16/44 PCM and you would hear exactly what you hear when you play that record. 16/44 PCM can capture it all... including any warts that cause you to enjoy LP playback more than CD playback. I have many needle drop CDs and I can attest that they sound exactly like the LP it was made from, right down to the pops & clicks in all the same places. :) 

This whole subject could be discussed ad infinitum but all I can say is it is implementation dependent and at the end of the day, I let my ears make the decision.

I have just spun McCoy’ ‘Dedication Series’ ABC Impulse set from the ‘oil crisis’ era and compared it with Impulse’s best CD issue. No contest, not even close - at least on my rig (and surprising, in terms of the vintage of the platter/quality of the vinyl) :). Other set ups and references for comparison may give very different results. CD playback has its issues too - no D/A conversion is perfect.

At the end of the day - it is all good and if your ears and senses dig it, that’s all that counts !  I am very happy with both CD and LP sources and we are spoilt for choice with the media available.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

It never takes much time for the hoary old "vinyl good v vinyl bad" debate to raise it's head does it :rolleyes: 

I regret selling my copy of "Live Bullet" and giving away "Back in 72", both by Bob Seger...for almost entirely sentimental reasons

I re-bought a "Wally" LP pressing of "Live Bullet" a few years back from Stereo Jack's $1 bin. He had several copies at the time. It sounds about as good as I remember it sounding back in the day. If you do decide to re-buy it, look for a Wally (Traugott) pressing. From what posters are saying over on the Hoffman forums, it's about as good as it's going to get on LP.

Back to the topic at hand...

I guess there was one LP I regretted selling. I did regret selling my LP of The Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour", the German Hörzu pressing. I did buy another copy, so I do have it again and while it does sound nice, I also bought it mainly for nostalgic reasons.

Edited by bresna