Jack Sheldon

jazzkrow

Worked 2 times (by remote communication) with Jack.

I spoke on the phone with him while building an all star group for the Chicago Jazz Festival. This was to be a West Coast Group built around Art Pepper. It was to be a quintet and I lined up Art, Jack, Russ Freeman and Shelly Manne. I suggested Monty Budwig but Art objected and wanted Bob Magnusson. Anyway I spoke to all but Magnusson and they agreed. Unfortunately Art Pepper died before the event.

The second time was when I edited and assembled Jack's Uptown date.

He could be a charmer.

411M5RYF02L.jpg

Think I'll listen to one of the Curtis Counce dates now.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo

A very good latter-day Sheldon album:

51rJWRu0jnL.jpg

BTW, the Sheldon--Lester Bowie story I asked Chuck to tell. Bowie was at a concert or gig in the Boston area IIRC. Sheldon came out onstage and said something like: "You may notice that I look a bit different these days [a reference to his good-sized belly]. Well, I've been f---ing a lot lately, and I got pregnant."

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

A very good latter-day Sheldon album:

51rJWRu0jnL.jpg

BTW, the Sheldon--Lester Bowie story I asked Chuck to tell. Bowie was at a concert or gig in the Boston area IIRC. Sheldon came out onstage and said something like: "You may notice that I look a bit different these days [a reference to his good-sized belly]. Well, I've been f---ing a lot lately, and I got pregnant."

That is correct.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I remember a snippet from the notes to Art Pepper's Hollywood Sessions box in which Laurie said simply, "Art loved Jack!" It seems he was one of those universally beloved characters. RIP.

gregmo

Yeh, I've always been pissed off by Pete Weldings liner notes for The Return of Art Pepper where he wastes a lot fo space knocking Sheldon's contribution.  (And IIRC Mosaic reprinted those notes in their Pepper Select.) 

Martin Williams had a negative view of Sheldon too, probably based on Jack's work with Curtis Counce. IIRC, it went something like, "He imitates Miles but puts the climaxes in all the wrong places." One knows what aspect of Sheldon c. 1956 Martin was referring to, but while some of the sudden sotto voce moves that Jack liked to make back then could be rather coy, Martin didn't get that they were also a function of Jack's sense of humor.