Last Sunday

Larry Kart

caught Josh Berman, Keefe Jackson, Jason Roebke, and drummer Bill Harris at the Hungry Brain. Excellent. Harris, new to me, is a find -- very tasty, big ears. Now that Frank Rosaly is in Amsterdam, the Chicago scene needs a drummer like Harris. Everyone was in top form, playing pieces from Josh's Delmark albums "A Dance and a Hop" and "Old Idea." Josh's cornet sounded so rich and golden that I asked if  ff he had had work done on it, He said, "No, just lots of practice." Keefe, with his gruff warm tone, was swinging so hard at times that I once again had the thought that he was as an admirer of Don Byas. Mentioned this to Josh, and he said, Oh., absolutely."

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

caught Josh Berman, Keefe Jackson, Jason Roebke, and drummer Bill Harris at the Hungry Brain. Excellent. Harris, new to me, is a find -- very tasty, big ears. Now that Frank Rosaly is in Amsterdam, the Chicago scene needs a drummer like Harris. Everyone was in top form, playing pieces from Josh's Delmark albums "A Dance and a Hop" and "Old Idea." Josh's cornet sounded so rich and golden that I asked if  ff he had had work done on it, He said, "No, just lots of practice." Keefe, with his gruff warm tone, was swinging so hard at times that I once again had the thought that he was as an admirer of Don Byas. Mentioned this to Josh, and he said, Oh., absolutely."

Berman is on the new CD by Juan Vinuesa (tenor sax) who I'd never heard before. Darn good IMO.