Torment

Hardbopjazz

Glancing insight, perhaps a pseudo insight, into Art.  He was at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in the '70s, when it was located beneath the Happy Medium nightclub on Rush St. I went to review the first night, Art was superb, and I said so in the next morning's paper. I went back the next night, and I think Chuck pointed me out out to Laurie (don't think I'd met her before, but she had seen the review and probably shown it to Art). She said to him something like, "Here's the guy who said all those nice things about you in the paper," and Art just stood there looking at me much as does in the photo, like a zombie. Not that I expected or wanted anything from him on an interpersonal level, and Lord knows there would have been many ways to take this, based on whatever Art's physical and emotional state of being might have been at  the time, but my immediate impression was that being on the receiving end of praise, especially from a stranger/would-be critic, placed him in an awkward, even impossible position -- perhaps a la, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."