Retired U.S.P.S.

I know some of you guys here already now I work for the U.S.P.S. Well as of January1 I am now officially retired after 33 years and nearly 3 months as a letter carrier. It was time to call it quits. The job was proving more difficult and quite frankly I was getting tired of the b.s.  My hours recently were changed to an hour later starting time, office time was dramatically reduced which meant added deliveries and much later evenings of working and walking in the dark. Sometimes late as 9 and 10 PM.  I feel bad for my co-workers I left behind, but I put in my time and have no regrets leaving. At some point I'll most likely look for something part time to put a few bucks in my pocket and hopefully keep me out of trouble. Volunteer work at the local human society is a definite possibility since I love animals. I look forward to my new found freedom. No more working outside in the cold and hot weather. The snow and ice and extreme cold during the winter were not my favorite times. The heat never bothered me as much. Now I get to enjoy Maine and the reasons I moved here nearly 6 years ago. I've never fully been able to take advantage of that and now I have no excuses. Hopefully I get the opportunity to post here more often too and less on the Facebooking. I've definitely been doing a lot more listening the past few days and hope to at least contribute there. That's all for now.  Not sure how many care but I thought I would throw it out there. See you guys on the forum.

25 minutes ago, Tom 1960 said:

I know some of you guys here already now I work for the U.S.P.S. Well as of January1 I am now officially retired after 33 years and nearly 3 months as a letter carrier. It was time to call it quits. The job was proving more difficult and quite frankly I was getting tired of the b.s.  My hours recently were changed to an hour later starting time, office time was dramatically reduced which meant added deliveries and much later evenings of working and walking in the dark. Sometimes late as 9 and 10 PM.  I feel bad for my co-workers I left behind, but I put in my time and have no regrets leaving. At some point I'll most likely look for something part time to put a few bucks in my pocket and hopefully keep me out of trouble. Volunteer work at the local human society is a definite possibility since I love animals. I look forward to my new found freedom. No more working outside in the cold and hot weather. The snow and ice and extreme cold during the winter were not my favorite times. The heat never bothered me as much. Now I get to enjoy Maine and the reasons I moved here nearly 6 years ago. I've never fully been able to take advantage of that and now I have no excuses. Hopefully I get the opportunity to post here more often too and less on the Facebooking. I've definitely been doing a lot more listening the past few days and hope to at least contribute there. That's all for now.  Not sure how many care but I thought I would throw it out there. See you guys on the forum.

Enjoy your retirement ....

Congrats Tom! I retired nearly 12 years ago from an increasingly difficult and stressful state employment experience and it's just so good to be free of the negative aspects of the working life. I do miss the positive ones at times, a lot. But there is so much to fill the time, and having a wonderful wife again is a big plus. I'm sure you will really be enjoying yourself.

Thanks for that post, Tom. I wish you the very best in your new setup. 

Having lived in New Brunswick for three years, I know what those winters are like. You deserve a break from carrying mail for hours outside.

Ha ha, I once received a letter from the premier (or whatever they call the post) of Ontario, in which he described the climate as "bracing". It sure does brace.

Now you can catch up with the recordings of Ray Coniff and Mitch Miller.

9 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

one of the greatest shows the greatful dead ever played in their entire history was in maine 1985- did you go my guy?

3/31 or 4/1?  Or both?

https://archive.org/details/gd85-03-31.oade.connor.8244.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd85-04-01.oade-schoeps.sacks.23659.sbeok.flacf

Medjuck, I had a job as a Math prof at a university in Sackville. They also had a student jazz big band, and they heard me practising in one of their practice rooms and got me to play 1st tenor saxophone in the band. I snuck my soprano in as well. 

During my time there, the university gave Oscar Peterson an honorary doctorate. On the evening of the ceremony, the head of the Music department had a get-together at his house and I was invited to that.

I have been to Fredericton several times, and it is the nicest part of New Brunswick, I think. Pretty spot, and that historic park is not to be missed. It's better than Uppity Canada Village.

After Sackville, we moved to Victoria.

Tom - enjoy your retirement. If you want to head down to York and spin a few records or grab a beer at the York River Landing, let me know. Now that my daughters moved out and it's just me & my wife, I can get some free time.

Tom & I live in Southern coastal Maine. I don't think our winters can compare to New Brunswick! :) 

Thanks for the good words guys. I was in a very unique situation having not married till nearly 40 and having no kids, I put my money away in my TSP or 401K  and since the early 90's  in a stock market index fund. I did very well. When I sat down with the advisor in early September she said I could make more money sitting at home than working. Well geez twist my arm. I decided to stick it out till the end of the year to work one last holiday season then get the heck out.  Believe me, countless times I questioned that decision with being mandated to work off days and working at least 10 hour days, sometimes 12,  a few even longer. Shorthanded, people out on injury, it was the right move to leave. Again, no regrets. Towards the end there would be days I would go home physically hurting. Yeah, I don't miss that. I look.forward to what life presents me going forward.  

Shout out to my neighbor down the road, Kevin. Count me in on any sort of get together. Maybe a trip to Bull Moose the last of the chains here in northern New England. They always have a decent jazz section. A beverage is good as well.

Edited by Tom 1960