Amazon - on demand CDRs

bertrand

Amazon used to say when a CD was an on-demand printing. It was hard to find on the page, but now I don't see it anymore. Can anyone find an example of where it says it? Did they decide not to mention it anymore?

I was looking at Jack Wilson's Something Personal.

In contrast, Deep Discount shows it clearly. Example:

•  
  • Got a Good Thing Goin

• (Manufactured on Demand)

Edited by bertrand

And adding to the confusion, some CDR releases of back-catalog items aren't even manufactured "on-demand" (or so I'm surmising).  I ordered this title off Amazon about 6 months ago, and it came sealed (not shrunk-wrap, but the nicer kind of clear cellophane, with the small folds on the ends, iirc), and it turned out to be a CDR (though the new packaging and inserts was actually reasonably good).

https://www.amazon.com/Swinging-Macedonia-Dusko-Goykovich/dp/B00DZX3D6M

No indication it was a CDR in the Amazon listing, and I strongly suspect the manufacturer ships them to Amazon that way (sealed), so Amazon would have no way of knowing.  Admittedly, though, I'm not really sure.

Annoyed me most definitely, but not much else you can do, I realize.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Dunno why you need to buy a CD-R boot of the Dusko when the Japanese Enja reissue from a few years ago is still available on Discogs as new stock... I'd try sources other than Amazon wherever possible.

It's a legit reissue, if you can believe it (isn't it??)...

http://www.harmonies.com/dusko_goykovich/index.html

The liners have a post-script by the original producer, some (almost) 50 years later.  I did my homework on this release, and the liners were available on-line and everything.

http://harmonies.com/dusko_goykovich/15043-2_swinging_macedonia.pdf

Everything, except the part about it being a CDR. :(

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a CDR in the mail from Amazon, of this title (link below) -- which I can find absolutely no mention of it being a CDR on Amazon's listing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L4LAC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

Is my only recourse to go through their automatic return robots, which generates a mailing label to send it back to them?

There appear to be other instances of the same title coming up as being available on CD -- but only when I interface through Amazon's app on my phone (I'm not seeing the same options when I got through the web-interface on my laptop).  And before you say those are various new/used copies from third-party sellers (and they are), the thing is that NONE of the other buying options (and prices) I'm seeing through the Amazon app interface match any of the seller names (and prices) that show on the web-interface.

When I do pull it up on my laptop, there is a link that says "5 formats and editions" and the prices/options on my phone are priced: $11.99 (doesn't say CDR, but this is the CDR version I got), $18.10, $26.85, $30.37, plus the MP3 edition for $9.49 (equals *5* formats and editions total).

But on the web-interface on my laptop, the options are $11.99 (CDR, doesn't say CDR though), $18.10, $26.85, and $30.37, plus the MP3 edition for $9.49.

You might notice that NONE of the non-CDR, non-MP3 versions match in price (or what I'm hoping are non-CDR versions).  And oddly enough, the versions through my phone all have "in-stock" inventories of variously 4, 5, or 6 copies available (whereas on the web-version on my laptop) none of the other 3rd-party seller listings have inventory # listened (so I guess it's "1" that's in-stock?).

AND none of the 3rd-party seller names on the Amazon app listings, match ANY of the names of the 3rd-party sellers on the web-interface listings (and none of the prices match at all, as you can see above).  I won't type out all the names, but none of the seller-names are even remotely similar.

Is there any way to "chat" with anyone at Amazon about any of this? -- or is it all just automated, and my only recourse is to return it (and get a mailing label from them).

Ideally I'd like to plead my case that I was sent the wrong item -- a CDR, when what I ordered (based on how it was listed) was a real CD -- and I'd like them to honor the $11.99 price I paid for what was supposed to be a CDR -- and have them send one of the other ones.  (Wishful thinking, I know.)

But I can't find ANY way to bring up a "chat" with customer service type thing.  The only other return I ever had with Amazon was about 2 years ago (this month), for something I'd bought about 2 months before (so it was outside of their 30-day window), but I only opened the item on Jan 1st (and it was defective).  It was my annual replacement rotary blades for my razor, which I start a new set of every year (on Jan 1), and the interface did give me a way to chat about it (I guess cuz it was over 30 days).  Turns out they had LOTS, and LOTS of returns on those rotary razor blades (and dozens of complaints in the reviews of the item too), so they did let me return them.

But this is different, because I don't want a replacement for the same item -- I want them to send me a real CD (instead of a CDR) at the price they had listed for what was supposed to be a real CD.

I guess my only option is to return it, but in a perfect world, if any of their other inventory is actual CD's, I'd like to make a case for getting a replacement item from that inventory.  (But I suppose I'm fucked.)  Just venting, more than anything.  Guess I've got 30 days to mull it over -- whether to just keep it, and go on -- or return it.  I sure as hell don't want to pay twice as much for something that may (or may not) actually be a real CD, and would rather have Amazon send me one of the other ones at the price they offered.

Oh well, enough of my yappin'.  If anyone has any magic advice, that'd be awesome, though I fear there's none to be had.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

6 minutes ago, felser said:

I've always been able to work out any issues with Amazon via online chat, and they always have bent over backwards to make it a good outcome for me.

But where do you access the on-line chat function? I looked for about 10 minutes earlier, and for the life of me I couldn’t find any recourse other than their automated return process.

That said, I’m glad to give them a phone call (thanks Jim for that number!), probably this weekend when I have a little more time. Thx again!

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

But where do you access the on-line chat function? I looked for about 10 minutes earlier, and for the life of me I couldn’t find any recourse other than their automated return process.

That said, I’m glad to give them a phone call (thanks Jim for that number!), probably this weekend when I have a little more time. Thx again!

Try this.  I haven't had to return anything in a long time, so don't remember exactly what I have done in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

I continue to be amazed at how "we" just assume that there's no way to actually talk to an actual person these days. "Chatting" may or may not have you exchanging key words with a bot. A phone call gets you to a real person in real time, at least for now. AI's not that developed, at least not yet.

I love getting through to a real person and then talking to them. Sometimes they're as surprised as I am that it's happening!

10 hours ago, David Ayers said:

You do know that the prices you listed from the different interfaces are exactly the same, don’t you?

I must have copied the wrong numbers for one of the sets from my badly scrawled notes.  It was a very long day at work yesterday.  I'll have to check tonight.  I'm practically positive it was two different sets of prices (and 3rd-party venders).

2 hours ago, felser said:

Try this.  I haven't had to return anything in a long time, so don't remember exactly what I have done in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

Thank you.  Somehow I couldn't seem to find this page yesterday, again it was a long day.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

54 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

In fact that CD appears THREE times on amazon.com - that might have added to the mayhem!

Yeah, that's kind of what I was seeing too.  I'm hoping they'll either 1) send me a real CD at the $12 price I ordered it at (even if it was one of the other listings, perhaps higher priced -- but I'd like them to honor the price I paid).  The other prices are close to double (or more!).  Or 2) if they want to credit me my $12, and let me keep the CDR -- I'd be fine with that too.

But I'm expecting the worst case, which is either keep what I got (no refund), or send it back (full refund).  Those are certainly the "automated" options.  Maybe if I can talk to a real person -- or go through a 'chat' -- I'm hoping maybe I can maybe get a better outcome.

I'll mess with it this weekend sometime.  Thanks for all the links and phone-contact info everyone, and any other advice.

It's a nifty date -- sort of "free-jazz"-leaning covers of super-early Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett-era) tunes, and Syd solo tunes (more solo-Syd than Floyd, unfortunately, but it's all good).

Trumpet, guitar, and drums.  Here's they are (were) live, back in 2009...