Frank Zappa - The Hot Rats Sessions

Just taken delivery of this and am slowly ploughing through the 6 CDs. It's replete with unearthed archival material that was used toward several FZ albums in addition to Hot Rats which is presented in full but in the 1987 FZ remix. Sessions that contributed to other albums such as Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Chunga's Revenge are populated amongst the 67 tracks, most of which are previously unreleased. Very well represented are sessions which feature "Sugarcane" Harris. Zappa certainly seems to have got the best out of the violinist. The booklet of sleeve notes is well presented with details of studio takes and personnel in addition to recollections and plaudits from the likes of Ian Underwood and Matt Groenig. Despite what I consider to be an unnecessary Zappa board game which includes plectra as markers, this is an excellent box set which I highly recommend to all Zappa and non-Zappa fans alike.

Edited by RogerF

21 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

The trust always seems to add extras in order to boost the price. But this was by far the most compelling Zappa box released since his death in 1993.

I agree this was an expensive box and the board game was an irritating and superfluous extra. However, I still think the previously unreleased stuff is probably worth the cost given there isn't any other way to hear it, (David Ayers comment above notwithstanding) eg, the extended version of "Directly From..." and lots of other examples. Also, I'm pleased it brings together the other FZ recordings that were related to HR. But $100 / £100 + is steep and I have enough plectrums already. One other point I didn't mention was that purchasing it on Amazon also included an invaluable "Auto Rip" which meant it was on my iPhone in seconds after I bought the CD box. Really useful.

24 minutes ago, RogerF said:

there isn't any other way to hear it, (David Ayers comment above notwithstanding) 

Well, it's either there are other ways to hear it or there aren't, it can't be both. And there are.   

Apparently, there is a live Hot Rats era box upcoming.  

Edited by Д.Д.

8 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, it's either there are other ways to hear it or there aren't, it can't be both. And there are.   

Apparently, there is a live Hot Rats era box upcoming.  

well, yes there are other ways to here it, but purchasing the box allows you to lovingly paw the cardboard and plastic and read the sleeve notes which in this LP sized format are thankfully legible to those of a certain age who are fed up trying to read the small print on CD liners. A live HR box is interesting news.

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Is the original LP mix included in this box set? If not, is/was there any CD issue of this mix. I don't like Zappas remix ......

The 2008 version remastered by Bernie Grundman using the original 1969 analog master (Zappa Records ZR 3841 - official release #8)

2 hours ago, romualdo said:
9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Is the original LP mix included in this box set? If not, is/was there any CD issue of this mix. I don't like Zappas remix ......

The 2008 version remastered by Bernie Grundman using the original 1969 analog master (Zappa Records ZR 3841 - official release #8)

The CD version available now (released in 2012) is the original mix: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008BDZP3K/ 

I really wouldn't mind hearing all the music, just not to the degree of that price and those "extras" of the packaging.

The original record holds up really well, imo, perhaps better than a lot of Zappa's output. And Sugar Cane Harris was indeed a significant addition. But...too rich for my blood, I mean, a board game?