Two Cheap HRS Mosaics on eBay

I'm just generally shocked at the number of "discs only" sets that appear on eBay.  *AND* the number of "booklet only, no discs!" auctions too.

How is it that SO damn many discs and booklets get separated like that??

I mean, I don't keep my discs in the original boxes, but all the boxes (and booklets) are together in an oversized milk crate, and my wife knows that the discs are all intermixed with my other CD's -- and they're the only ones in the black jewel boxes.  It would take about 20 minutes tops to rematch them all up again.

Maybe if strangers were packing up all my earthly possessions, maybe they might not have any idea, but still, you'd have to think that if you found that many empty boxes, that maybe what goes in them would be around somewhere close too.

Not that I can't see it happening at all, but given the number of "discs only" and "booklet only" sales on eBay, it seems to be incredibly common, and bafflingly so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 7:16 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

't see it happening at all, but given the number of "discs only" and "booklet only" sales on eBay, it seems to be incredibly common, and bafflingly so.

This confuses me too. Are there owners that throw the boxes away when they buy them? Or separate everything out for storage and then lose parts? I don't get it.

Assuming these are no (incomplete) sets that "fell off a truck", hasn't this been discussed before elsewhere? There seem to be a lot of orphaned sets around that may have been sent out as promo copies (where the contents may have been reduced to the actual music and bare-bones discographical details in the small booklets in the jewel cases) or that may have been sold off by Mosaic through special deals at one point (Wasn't there talk of a mismatch of the manufactured totals between produced books, huge outer boxes and discs?). The "Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions" set I bought on eBay several years ago (2-CD jewl cases withn the CDs and small inlay booklets with discographical info as well as small drilled hole in the upper corner of the jewel cases but no huge book and box) certainly loooked like a promo or sale item to me
At any rate, it IS puzzling. One might almost be tempted to think Mosaic at a time wilfully tore sets apart in order to ship "missing", "damaged" or defective" parts of the sets to existing customers and then sold off the incomplete sets at a discount later on. Or else there is indeed a total mismatch in the number of produced individual items that go into making a full set.

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I doubt, though, that there are THAT many out there who ALL follow that path. Because Mosaic CD sets minus the large box and book really are common on the market.

I wonder who long it will take for Savory sets amputated like that to appear on the market ... ;)

But I’m sure there are some that do.