How do MFSL, DCC Gold, etc work?

Captain Howdy

Am I correct in assuming that Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and its like are independent companies unassociated with any major record label? They lease the masters from one of the big three, or whoever owns them, sprinkle a little fuckin' fairy dust over the bastard, and then sell the results to audiophiles? Is that how it works? So in theory I could start my own "audiophile" label if I could convince anyone to loan me the masters of a classic album.

Edited by Captain Howdy

That is basically how it works. By the way, DCC ceased to exist about twenty years ago, its successor, Audio Fidelity, went the same way a couple of years ago. Mobile Fidelity or MFSL is in its second life after it went bankrupt; it was acquired by MusicDirect in 1999 and released many (in my view) outstanding discs over the years that were licensed from the majors, including a lot of Miles Davis' and Bob Dylan's Columbia albums. They're way too expensive for my taste, though.

Edited by J.A.W.