Woody Shaw App

just saw an ad for a free woody shaw iphone App- its like grateful dead app except for woody- , i saw upon quick look multiple euro live releaes to stream etc-- i just clicked on Basel 1980 for exampe, now you can jam a woody show whereever, whenever (you have your phone)!

****edit im looking around more, this app is ballz it has the columbia albums section, the muse albums section, it must be the estate or something this is really thought out

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I could see getting this, even for a little cost.  It is Woody, after all -- one of the only artists I'm still kind of a completist about (mostly).

Like, I actually ditched a small handful of Andrew Hill and Joe Henderson CD's when I had to downsize almost 10 years ago (not lots, but maybe 10% each).  But I've practically never gotten rid of anything with... or especially by Woody Shaw.

I just added it too. The “subscription rates” are $12.99/month, or $99.99/year — which appears to be what it takes to access and stream everything.

Those prices are pretty “yikes!” As far as I’m concerned. Pretty steep pricing model. So that’d be like $300 over 3 years, then you gotta pony up a whole nother $100 for another year?

I suppose 95% of their subscribers would go for a month or two, and then call it good once they’d heard everything a few times.

Anyway, no matter how you slice it, that’s a pretty steep cost of entry.

That said, the list of concerts you get access too is pretty long, much longer than I was expecting. Didn’t count, but maybe 45 audio concerts (maybe closer to 50?), and 20 videos (all of varying length, surely, some full-length concerts, some probably a song or three).

If I subscribed, I’d have to (mentally) write off half of the cost as a sort of charitable contribution in support of what they’re trying to do. Gosh that price is steep, for any kind of ongoing access.

EDIT: I did NOT subscribe, and if I did, I’d wait until August, about the only really slow month I have at work.

Maybe I’m cheap, but their asking price seems like a big stretch for most.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I got the thing working last night.  2 things you gotta do/know...

1) First, you have to register/sign-up (give them your email, and set a password).  NOTE:  They *don't* have you enter your password twice, and what you enter is obscured by asterisks as you key in each letter/digit.  SO BE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SETTING THE PASSWORD TO.  Each letter/digit is visible briefly, but look carefully to make sure you know what you're keying.  ALSO, there does seem to be some minimum password length, but I can't remember if it was 6 or 8 characters (and there's nothing that says what it is).  Mine is all alpha, so I *don't* think it's one of those things were you have to have at least one digit, and I know I didn't use any symbols.  They do have a help/support email.

2) Then it's not exactly clear how to get anything to actually play, but all you have to do is click the song name from within each release.  That took me a while to stumble on, and figure out, as there's no visible 'play' button -- but you just click the track name.  There's also a repeat function and a shuffle mode too, but I don't remember if I tested those entirely.  In the default mode, it plays the track you specify, and then the rest of the tracks on that same album in sequence.

You can play all of the new releases, all of his Muse dates, and all of his Columbia dates -- all for FREE (which is really quite a bit) -- and Concert Ensemble at the Berliner Jazztage *does* include the one bonus track found on the Mosaic (which was the only new material on Shaw's Muse Mosaic, iirc) -- the 10-minute long "Sanyas" (Steve Turre).  Another lesser-known thing you can play is the live "International Trumpet Guild" CD, which is up under 'new releases' (It's pretty much like the earlier Highnotes, vol 1-4, so I consider this basically vol 5), and here's the info on it...

https://www.discogs.com/Woody-Shaw-Field-Recordings-Of-A-Jazz-Master/release/3851863

None of the 3(?) recent "Onkel Po's" dates are there (the two by Woody from 1979 and '82, iirc -- and one by Louis Hayes, makes 3 -- am I forgetting any?).  But you CAN listen to the two recent Louis Hayes Highnotes.

All that's free, and that's not too shabby, and nice to have at your fingertips anytime you need a Woody fix.  Whether I delve into the rare stuff (at $13/month), is another story.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Slightly off topic but since Chewy mentioned it, the Dead site On IOS is Relisten; there are a lot of other groups on there besides the Dead (most of whom I’ve never heard of but are probably known to other listeners. In addition, all the Dead concerts on Relisten come from the Internet Archive. No cost unless you wish to make a donation. 

Relisten is also good for Phish and Little Feat, Warren Zevon....

re- woody: 100/mo is way too steep, and sounds like the UI needs to be revised.  The thing with this also should be to spead the music and not massive cash grab.  I mean i get it, they expect it to be for the wealthy individual jazz patron, but what about the freaking kids who just want to learn about the history of jazz trumpet?  what about them?  i have said this recently and i will said it again I am not going to be financially responsible for saving jazz.  that is up to the older, wealthier patrons of jazz, i mean they sent me the local jazz org donation envelope.......I am not Barroness Nica over here.

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

I am not going to be financially responsible for saving jazz.  that is up to the older, wealthier patrons of jazz,

Yeah, well, see, that means that it is your responsibility get wealthy (and patron-y) by the time you get older.

And please, do better at it that I have.